is it possible to launch tribes vengeance beta server

Encountering problems with Fireant's launcher or B7ADE's Server browser or having difficulties getting started? Post in here and we will help you the best we can!
mcc001

is it possible to launch tribes vengeance beta server

Post by mcc001 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi everyone,
I have been waiting such a long time to see TV for its coming back ! Such a surprise !
I used to launch my own dedicated server (during gamespy time), using the "tribes vengeance beta server".
Is it still possible to use it ?
It was quite usefull because I use bat files to launch mods.

Thanks

Cobra
Revengeance Engineer

Re: is it possible to launch tribes vengeance beta server

Post by Cobra » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:20 pm

Yes, you can still use the Tribes Vengeance beta server.

You will need to replace the server's Engine.dll file (located in VUGames/Server/Progam/Bin/) with this one though: Fixed Engine.dll

If you need help setting the server up, here is a guide that might be usefull :)
link: http://tribesrevengeance.com/tutorials/ ... rsetup.php
Cobra ~ Cake

mcc001

Post by mcc001 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:46 am

thanks for your answer.
I have used my old beta dedicated server as it was and worked as before but I guess it was because my dedicated server was launched on the same computer I use to play.
So, just in case my beta dedicated server file would be not updated, I have downloaded the one on this website.
Do I still have to paste the new engine file into this (new?) beta dedicated server bin folder ?

I have another question. Wether it would be in my old beta dedicated server bin folder or in the new one (the one I have downloaded from this website) I have just installed, I can't find the "beta dedicated server.ini" file in the bin folder. To be sure, I have used the control F research fonctionality, but still nothing.
But the "default.ini" file looks like the "beta_dedicated_server.ini" which the "server set up guide" talks about (in tutorials of this website).
So, is it the same file but we should rename the "default.ini" file into "beta_dedicated_server.ini" " ?

Cobra
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Cobra » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:26 pm

mcc001 wrote:thanks for your answer.
I have used my old beta dedicated server as it was and worked as before but I guess it was because my dedicated server was launched on the same computer I use to play.
So, just in case my beta dedicated server file would be not updated, I have downloaded the one on this website.
Do I still have to paste the new engine file into this (new?) beta dedicated server bin folder ?
The Beta Dedicated server you can find on the tribesrevengeance.com website does NOT run the updated Engine.dll
So if you want your server to be connected to the master server, you will have to replace it.

I would also like to clarify something from my first post implying you need the new Engine.dll to run the server. This is only the case if you want your server to appear ingame. If you run the dedicated server with the "outdated" file, your server will run fine, but it will not be displayed ingame and you will need to connect using console.
mcc001 wrote:I have another question. Wether it would be in my old beta dedicated server bin folder or in the new one (the one I have downloaded from this website) I have just installed, I can't find the "beta dedicated server.ini" file in the bin folder. To be sure, I have used the control F research fonctionality, but still nothing.
But the "default.ini" file looks like the "beta_dedicated_server.ini" which the "server set up guide" talks about (in tutorials of this website).
So, is it the same file but we should rename the "default.ini" file into "beta_dedicated_server.ini" " ?
"default.ini" is used to create the "beta_dedicated_server.ini" file at first run. They both contain the same information. So, you could make a copy of your default.ini and name it "beta_dedicated_server.ini", but I'm not sure this will work as there might be more to it than just a missing ini file.

Perhaps it is Window's User Account Control (UAC) messing with some of your .ini files and considering them as compatibility files.
If that is the case, you should try to run the dedicated servers with administrator privileges, the .ini should then get recreated and appear in their right folders (Program/Bin/)

Pretty much the only thing I can think of right now, let me know how it goes.
Cobra ~ Cake

mcc001

Post by mcc001 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks Cobra !
All you said is very precise and clear, that's perfect ! I'll do as you said.

You are right, I have run the" beta dedicated server.exe" as administrator and right after it, I saw the "beta dedicated server.ini" in the bin folder, just as you said !

Thanks !! :D

Cobra
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Cobra » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:15 pm

Alright, glad to know you fixed it ;)
Cobra ~ Cake