Fixing maps

In here, all topics related to new T:V content (maps, skins, textures, ...) can be found. Map, skin or other requests can be made here, too.
HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Fixing maps

Post by HighDive » Thu May 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Hello Tribals,

Some of you might already know of this great news, but Tapir has offered to apply fixes to pretty much any suggested map, that is accompanied with good reason and is brought in a good manner. The goal is to get a bigger "map rotation pool" we can choose from, so that we aren't stuck anymore with the same 10 old, boring maps, as we do today. Furthermore, you can imagine the publicity that can be generated by having a new map pack.

I am posting this, because I want YOUR feedback on which maps that should get a fix, which shouldn't and most importantly: an explanation as to WHY! You can understand that "I want bigger hills" isn't concrete enough, you need to go onto the map and suggest stuff like: "the hill on the right of IMP base needs to be some higher, because .... .... ..." Preferably accompanied with a few screenshots!

This way, we will be able to make a nice list of maps which need (minor) fixes in order to be used on the servers.

I will give a starting example as to how I'd like to see reports:

Code: Select all

Map name: MP-BEML4-Steppe
What's wrong: no fog
How to fix: add subtile fog
Why: Having no fog destroys depth feeling and makes it very hard to aim decently in the air. It is also very annoying.
It doesn't need to be this format, but you get the idea.

I hope to get a lot of feedback on this one, guys. Just remember one thing: no reason as to why => invalid response! And invalid responses will be ignored!

HighDive

Harabec

Re: Fixing maps

Post by Harabec » Thu May 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Map name: MP-X2/BEML8-Mayata
What's wrong: The gap at the BE base
How to fix: Add some material to fill up the gap?
Why: Personally, I think its funny and nobody really uses it, but its been a long time and it just needs to be fixed

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Fri May 16, 2014 10:54 am

Harabec wrote:Map name: MP-X2/BEML8-Mayata
What's wrong: The gap at the BE base
How to fix: Add some material to fill up the gap?
Why: Personally, I think its funny and nobody really uses it, but its been a long time and it just needs to be fixed
x2 version fixes that. ;)

HighDive

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:09 am

VM-Raindance and BEML4-Raindance
Problem: in base spawn
fix: remove in base spawn
Why: Since it's random, it is somewhat unfair when you spawn inside, as it puts you out of action completely during a few moments...

HighDive

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:27 am

Map Name: VM-CanyonCrusade
Problem: spawn underneath map
Fix: make it impossible to spawn underneath the map
Why: bug/glitch, needs to be fixed.

HighDive

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:31 am

Map Name: X2-Simoom
Problems/fix:

- The fog: it's too thick and for some players, it doesn't show. Reduce fog strength and fix the named bug
- Flag stands: current flag stands allow only for certain routes. It's nice in a way, but due to the lake of possible routes, it's quite annoying. I suggest a flag stand more open than this one, but not too open like the one you used on your map, for instance. In my opinion there must be some 'structures' left.
- Map size/hill heigts/number of hills: map size is too small and the hills are too flat and too low in number. I suggest a 40% increase in map size, hills to be made somewhat higher and more usable, and to add some more hills etc, matching with the map style, using the void space when extending the map size.

Why: The map has a lot of potential, but the noted problems make it impossible for the majority to enjoy. Changes are needed if we want a map like this to be put in the rotation (and imo, a desert map would be a nice addition).

HighDive

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:39 am

Map Name: MP-BEML6-IceRidge
Issues: Too much to name, but biggest issues are all the glitches that are in the map. You get below the map by pretty much sliding down any hill, etc.
fix: Make sure you can´t get underneath the map, etc.
Why: bug/glitch, needs to be fixed.

HighDive

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:41 am

Map Name: MP-BEML6-Damnbreaker
Issue: gravity - motion. It feels like slow motion
Fix: Adjust gravity or w/e setting to match movement to other maps
Why: Very annoying to move around

HighDive

tapir

Post by tapir » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:22 pm

2 problems

dambreaker:
Cant find this gravity setting.

iceridge:
No terrain, just 2 bases and few rocks. Unfixable because i suck at making terrain.

rest fixed
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5o7b1 ... d+maps.rar

Binswees

Post by Binswees » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Reason it feels like slow motion is because it is overscaled, you are stupid killer, embarrasing! ;)
Last edited by Binswees on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Binswees

Post by Binswees » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Not sure if already mentioned, too lazy to check.

Tangent:
Fix fucked up skybox (a huge black something appears when you get some height) Would love to see completely dif skybox too.

Reduce the fog, really hate how foggy that map is, looks really ugly.

Oui

Post by Oui » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:34 pm

if i can add something..pls don't change the skybox on tangent...it's one of the best looking ones IMO

tapir

Post by tapir » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:18 pm

http://postimg.org/image/poairo13j/full/

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q959q ... angent.rar
Oui wrote:if i can add something..pls don't change the skybox on tangent...it's one of the best looking ones IMO
but its the only way to get rid of this black shit on skybox

Oui

Post by Oui » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:48 pm

i don't think that besides bins and maybe a very very few other ppl - any1 even noticed some bugs on the sky.

Binswees

Post by Binswees » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Wow are you kidding me oui, way to defend the skybox. Ofc people notice it... you don't even have to get high up before you see it ;D

Ness

Post by Ness » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:39 am

What black shit?

Fireant
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Fireant » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Isn't the black shit on the skybox because you get above that tribes map bounding box or how is it called? If i remember correctly in tribes editor every map has barrier and some bounding box (that you can grapple in utopia and enigma, i think that it also creates illusion of infinite terrain). It could be possible that players get through it but projectiles dont.

I am pretty much sure that changing skybox texture is not going to fix this issue..
Edit: If it is (as it seems to be the case from previous post) than it probably is some level of detail setting of that material or texture.

tapir

Post by tapir » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:51 am

I rly like all the changes that were made in simoom but terrain still requires some smoothing to make it fully enjoyable, lets say 30%. Tangent looks so much better with the new skybox, although sky from x2 freefall would fit there perfectly imo. Also increase fogging by 20%.

Binswees

Post by Binswees » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:00 pm

Fireant wrote:Isn't the black shit on the skybox because you get above that tribes map bounding box or how is it called? If i remember correctly in tribes editor every map has barrier and some bounding box (that you can grapple in utopia and enigma, i think that it also creates illusion of infinite terrain). It could be possible that players get through it but projectiles dont.

I am pretty much sure that changing skybox texture is not going to fix this issue..
Edit: If it is (as it seems to be the case from previous post) than it probably is some level of detail setting of that material or texture.
Nope you are wrong, it's just as fucked up skybox texture, like tapir linked.

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:33 am

well it's turn for meh now. basicly ive picked tvrl maps that got the most potential to be loved.

1. MITE
lower map size by 40%, increase fogging distance by 10% n replace bugged skybox with a completely new one. afterwards this one should feel like a remix of mayata with frontline.
mite1.jpg
mite1.jpg (160.77 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
i would completely remove this whole hole, there are enough nice spots to land and this one would become a duelists yard n too easy escape road.

2.DESOLATE
lower map size by 30%. not sure if this skybox is my cup of tea, u could try putting sth new that fits terrain better. terrain smoothing and making it similar to rd.
black3.jpg
black3.jpg (135.56 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
flag stand connected with a bridge should be placed around 20 m futher, spot where is my reticle seems viable. roof above the stand should be placed 3x higher to avoid cheap roof def stackers known from highlands.
black1.jpg
black1.jpg (225.18 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
middle map canyons should be united into 1 huge. masterpiece on the right side shows where a huge hill should be added.

3.RIVEN
lower map size by 20%, add 10% fogging. territory nearby flag stand should be more opened n flat. i would add 2 huge hills on the both map sides aswell for faster lt routes.

4. TOURETTES - fix bugged skybox, reduce map size by 30%, replace flagstand tower to a much wider one and reduce amout of filars by 100%, add some terrain smoothing and make it our new highlands 2.0.

5.STRAIT - reduce map size by 40%, middle hole deepthness should be reduced by 100%, makes hills and hole deepthnes on the edge of map 20% bigger

there are a few others tvrl maps worth getting a new life, i'll post em in no time, just getting tired at 4 am lol

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:30 am

Slazerov wrote:4. TOURETTES - fix bugged skybox, reduce map size by 30%, replace flagstand tower to a much wider one and reduce amout of filars by 100%, add some terrain smoothing and make it our new highlands 2.0. Also do not forget the pee coloured water.
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:11 pm

leave my beer's lake alone!

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Sorry for coming back to this so late, but yeah.. exams and stuff.
Slazerov wrote:I rly like all the changes that were made in simoom but terrain still requires some smoothing to make it fully enjoyable, lets say 30%.
This.

Regarding Steppe: The fog is a little too strong now, try reducing it by approximately 30% and I think this map's good to go. Haters will hate the trees, but that's their problem.

Then I got another suggestion: BEML4-Stormdance. This map has epic terrain that is simply beautiful if you ask me. High hills, rivers, etc. Sadly enough, though, there are quite some errors in this map and the skybox is bogus. If you'd be able to fix some, if not all, of the following errors, I believe this could be a new hit, as everyone who I've asked so far loves this map.

Problem 1: speaks for itself and is probably directly linked to problem 5. The control map shows a black column which shouldn't be there.
Problem 2: The ground/slide of that hill is simply horrific. No way to hit that hill right without committing suicide on bad terrain. The slope needs to be fixed so that we can use that hill during gameplay.
Problem 3: There are some plant textures inside the water there. Those plant textures create some sort of obstruction / invisible wall which makes you lose all your speed if you hit one. The plants need to be removed, indefinitely.
Problem 4: The river floor is not suited for sliding in/out the river. The terrain must be made more smooth, so that we can use that part of the river.
Problem 5: Directly linked to problem 1, I believe. As you can see, the control map shows you can go further then the dotted line I have drawn there. However, when you are at the dotted line, inside the map, you will find a map barrier which makes it impossible to move further to the right, which basically means you are missing a part of the map and some good hills. Move the barrier back, so that it matches the control map and the terrain behind the barrier. I don't know if it is that 'simple', but I got the feeling that the black gab on the left matches the width of the gab on the right. So if you move the map to the left that much, it is fixed?
Problem 6: There is some sort of bug inside the imperial base, see screenshot below.
Problem 7: The skybox is waay too dark, so it's impossible to play decently on. Replacing the skybox with something more bright will solve this.

I really hope you can fix this and please, keep up the good work! :D

HighDIve

Ness

Post by Ness » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:34 pm

MP-BEML8-Highlands
Please fix that