So...

Post or request Tribes related GFX here (movies, pictures, logo's, avatars, signatures, ...).
HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

So...

Post by HighDive » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 am

So for the lesser experienced video editors among us (*cough* like myself *cough*)...

Is it possible to create all your shit inside Sony Vegas, like.. effects, synchronizing and whattheheck else and then simply export to AE and render from there to have best possible quality? Because if I try to replicate Sink's/Oui's/Fifato's stuff into SV and render, I am not getting the highest possible quality (check gameplay vid), even though I am talking about a video file of about 20GB big.

Pl0x halp

HighDive

Sink

Re: So...

Post by Sink » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:31 am

Shorten original text
Source youtube:
____________ ____________ ____________ ____________
Recommended upload encoding settings (Advanced)
Container: MP4
Audio codec: AAC-LC
Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1
Sample rate 96 khz or 48 khz
Video codec: H.264
Progressive scan (no interlacing)
High Profile
2 consecutive B frames
Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
CABAC
Variable bit rate. No bit rate limit required, although we offer recommended bit rates below for reference
Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
Frame rate
Content should be encoded and uploaded using the same frame rate that was used during recording.
Common frame rates include: 24, 25, 30, 48, 50 and 60 frames per second (other frame rates are also acceptable).
Interlaced content should be deinterlaced before uploading. For example, 1080i60 content should be deinterlaced to 1080p30, going from 60 interlaced fields per second to 30 progressive frames per second.
Bit rate
Note that the bit rates below are recommendations for uploads. Audio playback bit rate is not related to video resolution.
Recommended video bit rates for uploads

2160 p (4k)....35-45 Mbps........53-68 Mbps
1440 p (2k)........16 Mbps............24 Mbps
1080 p...............8 Mbps............12 Mbps
720 p................5 Mbps...........7.5 Mbps
480 p..............2.5 Mbps.............4 Mbps
360 p................1 Mbps...........1.5 Mbps
Recommended audio bit rates for uploads
Type Audio Bit Rate
Mono 128 kbps
Stereo 384 kbps
5.1 512 kbps
Resolution and aspect ratio
YouTube uses 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you are uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillarboxes (black bars on the left and right) or letterboxes (black bars at the top and bottom) provided by the player. If you want to fit the player perfectly, encode at these resolutions:
2160 p: 3840x2160
1440 p: 2560x1440
1080 p: 1920x1080
720 p: 1280x720
480 p: 854x480
360 p: 640x360
240 p: 426x240
____________ ____________ ____________ ____________ ____________ ____________

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:35 am

Kay thanks again for the settings haha but I take that as a yes, right? Like I do my shit in vegas and then I can export to AE, enter the settings you gave and you all eye- & eargasms. :)

HighDive

Sink

Post by Sink » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:41 am

Oh got the question wrong..
Thought you think its Sony Vegas that ruins your Youtube-Videoquality.
No its not vegas its the settings.

Well to come back to your question.
I dont ever heared of importing Vegas-projects into After Effects...
Its Adobe Premiere (Vegas-Likely Adobe program) you can import into Adobe After Effects (AE)...but not really for the reason to render...you import projects to AE to "after effect" them. ;)
Thats where the name comes from.
All other Editing programs will render as well as after effects (or nearly...for all those who knows it better :P ) depending on your given settings.
And if its still not enough help..there are pretty good youtube tutorials of 6mins xplaining SonyVegas rendering well enuf for good quality videos for youtube.

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:05 am

Alright thanks! Obviously more complex than I had hoped hehe... :)

HighDive

Fifato

Post by Fifato » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Pre-editing in something else than AE and then using AE is commonly used, sometimes its way faster to do basic stuff in something less complex. I sometimes use Premiere, sometimes Vegas, sometimes lightworks, but it can be anything. Prerender and you are ready to use it with AE.

Thats why AE is connected with basically all Adobe´s Creative Cloud products (Illustrator, Photoshop etc), but the only one that can share actual project files is Premiere (and, well, cinema 4d).

That means, from Vegas to AE, you have to first render it in SV to use it. So you cant get higher quality if you alerady lower it while rendering in Vegas.
But this doesnt mean you shouldnt do it. If you render it properly (Sinks setting should work perfectly) then go on and put it in AE if you wanna do sophisticated effects. But otherwise there isnt a reason for it.

Vegas has an option to export to things like Final Cut and even Premiere Pro, but I have to warn you, that doing things like this is very problematic and you can never know what will you end up with.
This will usually not work well. When I tried to open .prproj (premiere) exported from Vegas 13, AE announced it crashed, and it really did. So I didnt even get to see what I got from using some SV effects and putting it in AE.
I am pretty sure that many effects wont be 100% compatible.

You can do this importing/exporting more complicated and go through more programs, but imo its not worth it just to get it raw into AE.

But another thing that can be even more useful, is prerendering something from AE and put it in Vegas, so basically the opposite. So you can do some magic that is supposed to be overlaying the footage, just make the thing you need, render it and put it in Vegas and work in a place you know. A very nice example to make it clear what I mean are the player names in Ownage Time 2. It was made in Ae without the gameplay and then just put in Vegas above the actual Tribes layer. You cant make things like this in SV, vegas is used to edit videos, meanwhile AE is an actual composition software used for the biggest blockbusters, but it can make the same stuff SV does. But using more programs than just AE saves time and makes things easier.

Fifato

Oui

Post by Oui » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:16 pm

It depends on the project you are working. If you sync the video WITHOUT using velocity (so you have to cut by the place you want to slow-mo and drag it out or drag it in to speed-up etc) you can export it into AE , tho there is really no point in it since it would easier to do it just in AE. But if you add some effects or velocity changes in vegas you can't export it to AE , since AE hasn't the required effects to reproduce it 1:1.

Also about render settings in Vegas - i've tryed out like fucking 100 different render settings in Vegas and not even a single one came close to what I get from rendering in After Effects , so yea basicly vegas is shit for that... The only thing you can make to get good quality out of vegas is to render it out as .avi unconpressed (huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge file size) and then use some program like "meGUI" to compress it , many people say that it gives you the best possible quality out of vegas.

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:10 pm

So as far I get it: video quality wise AE is far superior to SV. No matter what you do in SV, you will never get AE quality, even with uncompressed stuff etc etc? Right?

That's a bummer lol, as SV is like 1000x easier for me to work in. :)

Guess I gotta learn how to use a new program after all then.

HighDIve

Fifato

Post by Fifato » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:18 pm

I wont be so sceptic about it. You can get higher quality out of AE I would say, but that doesnt mean Vegas produce shit content.

It really depends on the format and settings in Vegas.

If you wanna have good quality then get Nuke and Renderman.

gl with that tho :)