Transparent Weapons

Post or request Tribes related GFX here (movies, pictures, logo's, avatars, signatures, ...).
DiceRolla

Transparent Weapons

Post by DiceRolla » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:31 pm

soo I am redoing my weapon.pkg to have transparent weapons so you can still tell what weapon you have up. open the texture broswer and open your used weapons.pkg (DiceWeapons.pkg, BlueWeapons.pkg ect.) and right click the shader that says "Buckler" and click properties, then scroll down to the setting for "output Blending" and change it to Translucent. then save it, all your weapons will be semi transparent in game both in first and third person. you would have to do this to ALL shaders associated with the weapon you'r modifying.

I've also figured out how to have them transparent in first person but not in third. but in order to do this I need to make different files in photoshop and replace the base textures for the weapons with it, then apply it's opactiy to the shader.

I do have one question however there is he heavy arm (it's called "AmmoPack") mesh that holds all the weapons for heavy, it uses the mortar texture for a skin as it's half the mesh from the mortar but I need to know the command to add to the "Dice.ini" file to apply that texture to the mesh like the custom weapon skins. would be nice if someone could find that for me i not I'll just look for it once I get all the photoshop shit done

The Held AmmoPack in heavy

DiceRolla

Re: Transparent Weapons

Post by DiceRolla » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:34 pm

theres still things like the rope on the grappler and the nade in the GL and the ammo pack I need to figure out but..I really haven't looked at how to fix them I'm slowly just testing the second attempt at transparent weapons to have hte thrid person and dropped weapons be normal looking and only have htem ransparent in first person..also they will be more transparent than they are in the above screenshots in the version with the changed textures, the above is jsut a result of changing the output blending settign in the shader file in the thexture.pkg

Cobra
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Cobra » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:57 am

DiceRolla wrote:I do have one question however there is he heavy arm (it's called "AmmoPack") mesh that holds all the weapons for heavy, it uses the mortar texture for a skin as it's half the mesh from the mortar but I need to know the command to add to the "Dice.ini" file to apply that texture to the mesh like the custom weapon skins.
You should be able to access the ammo pack mesh with these commands:

Code: Select all

set weapons.AmmoPackHeld firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.XXX'
set weapons.AmmoPackHeld thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.XXX'
set weapons.AmmoPackHeld StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.XXX'
Thing is I cannot find that class anywhere, so I do not know if it inherites the "StaticMesh", "thirdPersonStaticMesh" and "firstPersonMesh" properties like the other weapon do. I guess you'll find out :p

DiceRolla wrote:theres still things like the rope on the grappler and the nade in the GL and the ammo pack I need to figure out but..I really haven't looked at how to fix them I'm slowly just testing the second attempt at transparent weapons to have hte thrid person and dropped weapons be normal looking and only have htem ransparent in first person..also they will be more transparent than they are in the above screenshots in the version with the changed textures, the above is jsut a result of changing the output blending settign in the shader file in the thexture.pkg
EDIT: Did not realize you were talking about the grenade shell and the grappler rope that are part of the weapon itself.
I got no idea how to change those tbh, and I doubt what I explained below will change anything to the weapon itself. Anyway, Ill see if I can find something.

I'm still not familiar with meshes/skeletalmeshes and whatnot, so I might be completely off, but this is what I got so far:

GL projectile inherites the mesh or wathever from class'ArcProjectile'
[code]Gameplay.ArcProjectile StaticMesh StaticMesh'weapons.Grenade'

Command for Dice.ini:
set EquipmentClasses.ProjectileGrenadeLauncher StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.XXX'
Grappler rope might be a tad harded to figure out though ;s

Grappler uses the GrapplerRope class, that sets the mesh of the rope.

Gameplay.GrapplerRope Mesh SkeletalMesh'weapons.Cable'

The issue is I cannot find class'Cable' within package weapons anywhere in TVed (can't find it in the source files either),
and since it appears you cannot see the actual rope mesh, I figure it is going to be impossible to recreate a new rope mesh with the desired transparency and whatnot...

I guess another possibility would be to modify the projectile's shader itself. But I do not think this will work either

Usually the shaders can be seen in the Skins property of every object (in TVed, under Display, -> Skins)
the issue again is that By default (and as displayed in TVed), the Skins field of the Grappler Projectile is empty. It only gets set in UnrealScript when the grappler weapon is spawned in the world..
And the only way to have the game select your custom shader rather than the default one, would be to modify the Grappler's source code...

Anyway,Good job and nice idea for the transparent weapons, does look nice indeed :p
Cobra ~ Cake

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:58 pm

thanks for the response, the ammo pack thing should be the cure, ummm I do not need ot change them in third person at all so it's not important. the nade shell and grappler rope are indeed part of the weapon skin so I should be bale ot find them in the weapons.pkg and then copy commands into the "dice.ini" I should be able to work from here.

thanks for the info it should be quite useful to me.

the mesh once I actually skin them will look much cleaner, this was jsut the quickest easiest fix I could find

oh also I think anything in the weapons.pkg can just simply be skinned like I imagine that the grapple rope is pretty much the same as the sniper trail

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:56 pm

ok so I built a shader for everything..but I am noticing it's not using my shaders even after changing the names in the "Dice.ini" now some things it is like for instance the blaster, the shader name for it is simply "Blaster" now the spinfusor will not but the shader name for it as displayed by tved is "Spinfusor_Shader" I changed the names in the ini to _Shader..and it had no effect, the ones that do work look awesome tho

I also did not get the ammopack to work. I am gonna keep trying some settings

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:06 pm

I'm not understanding this...I set all the out put blending options to translucent and I get all transparent weapons, I set it to normal or alpha translucent and I get some partially visible weapons..grappler buckler blaster burner and still somehow am not getting the ammo pack skin to work

might have found the issue

Shader'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncher.GrenadeLauncher_Shader'

is how to direct it at a shader I belive and not jsut a normal trga, or dx3 file...yet still the OPblending settign shoudln't change anything then...

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:31 am

I accidentally found out how to apply a skin to the grappler cable

; Grappler Setup
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrappler firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.HeavyGrappler'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrappler firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Grappler'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrappler thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.HeavyGraplerHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrappler thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.GrapplerHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrappler StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.GrapplerHeld'

SET Gameplay.GrapplerRope Mesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Cable'
SET Gameplay.GrapplerProjectile StaticMesh 'DiceWeapons.Grappler'
the cable is showing up with yellow stripes..it shouldn't be but it is after setting the last two lines they used to be ; d out of the file also I know you can skin the hook somehow with code, it can be done in the animation browser it can be done with code.

if you open your animation browser and..I dunno weapons.pkg you get this

now in the bottom right corner of the animation browser you can change these skins, notice theres three of them 1 for the disk, 1 for the animated dial to indicate reload readiness (retail version) and 1 for the actual gun.

the lines in "Dice.ini' are as follow

; Spinfusor Setup
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponSpinfusor firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.HeavySpinfusor'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponSpinfusor firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Spinfusor'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponSpinfusor thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.HeavySpinfusorHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponSpinfusor thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.spinfusorheld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponSpinfusor StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.spinfusorheld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponSpinfusor emptyMaterials (None,Shader'DiceWeapons.Spinfusor.Spinfusor_Dial_Shader')
; Spinfusor Projectile
SET EquipmentClasses.ProjectileSpinfusor StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.Disc'
now now see 'DiceWeapons.HeavySpinfusor' that looksl ike this in the animation browser

the line SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponSpinfusor firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.HeavySpinfusor' is only part of the skin some how the mortar texture needs to get assigned to slot 1, as you can see sense the "Dice.ini" file is incomplete it defaults back to laoding the texture from the original "weapons.pkg" that came with the game, the animation browser will load the last texture file opened when associating with weapons.pkgs. It also appears to assign skins according to what the "Dice.ini" file describes.

Now after looking at this and tweaking some things in both the "Dice.ini" and "DiceWeapons" I bevelive that anything in the "weapons.pkg" can be set with the "Dice.ini" to any texture so if you look thru the "weapons.pkg" skin set it holds projectile information for all weapons. the genade, the grappler cable, the ammo pack, hand nades and all first person arms as well as what those weapons look like on the ground, IE the hand nade box. It also specifies "HeldSpinfusor" and "Spinfusor" skin wise, mesh wise there are three versions "HeavySpinfusorHeld" where half of the mesh is cut off to go into the ammo box of the heavy, "SpinfusorHeld" where it is normal and Spinfusor where it is on the ground or in another players hand. Meaning everything can be skinned in such a way that it is only not seen in first person view except maybe the sniper rifle...that has only a "SniperRifleHeld" mesh. There is a grenade mesh and a grapple hook mesh and a cable animation...

ok I think I started repeating stuff...I'll re read this later and see if I had a direction or if I was just recording this stuff

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:08 am

soooo I duplicated the "Cable" shader texture into "DiceWeapons.pkg" and it renders as white ingame with a shader on it..so it's showing graphic effects of the engine and all according to the settings of the default cable texture in the "Weapons.pkg" but it's white and I get this number every time I attempt to delete it...this may answer some questions for cobra..or not lol

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:44 am

Cobra wrote: EDIT: Did not realize you were talking about the grenade shell and the grappler rope that are part of the weapon itself.

lol yeah...I'm assuming everything in the weapons pkg is changeable. I still can't get the ammo pack BS to work yet..I am going to try this tomrrow evening

; Ammo Pack
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponAmmoPack firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponAmmoPack firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponAmmoPack thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponAmmoPack thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponAmmoPack StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'
I found that names re important...I think if I figure this out I'll redo the pkg...not fun but I did let mal finish it, he offered to make some remaining skins for me so I let him...he missed some lightmaps and a few other things I would have done but meh it made a full matching set.

So the wierd thing I replaced the Base textures with a 50% transparent texture and I applied that to the shaders as the base layer and I had transparent 1'st person weapons and opaque third person dropped and other player weapons...sooo I don't fully understand sense I can just make a similar change to the shader and end up with transparent weapons in every state that they are in game..but it should be acting like the first instance..or they should both be acting the same... I think "Held" weapon skins are relevant to the desired process.

but if this gets nailed it will allow for transparent first person arm skins too across the board replaceing the need for individual skins either entirely invisible or with transparent FP arms.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:04 pm

the above code also did not work...

I guess tonight I will see if I can't get a new pkg together with Held transparent weapons and normal weapon skins then get back to work on the rev pack..

(Shader'MKY_WFlag.FlagShader'FlagSahder'.Shader'MYK_WFlag.FlagBeagleShader')
.' <-Maybe invert - no bueno

( type ' pkg . texture ' type ' pkg . texture ' )

I guess without the original is this reffering to skinning the flag pole, then the flag?

this would be like the weapon skins but would have to be executed like discribed in the original thread...

soo

(Shader'pkg.FlagPole'Shader'pkg.Flag')

Run Group ( Skin0'pkg.pole'Skin1pkg.flag' ) End Group

sooo this could just be put in a promod .pkg with the speed pack effect in green and blue containing both the stock flags in trans and the wire frames, then promod could execute effects from the promod.pkg file..or it might work like the weapons..

sooo a weapon skin should go like

; Mortar Setup
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'

SET weapons.AmmoPackHeld StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'
With the mortar it is irrelevant because it's all ready built into the mesh

so then when the heavy held mesh is active it also activates the ammopack mesh

there is no ammopack in equipment classes or animations

;  Grenade Launcher and Ammo Pack

SET (EquipmentClasses.WeaponGenadeLauncher firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.GenadeLauncher'weapons.AmmoPackHeld firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar')

SET (EquipmentClasses.WeaponGenadeLauncher firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.GenadeLauncher'weapons.AmmoPackHeld thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar')

SET (EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncherHeavyHeld thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncherHeavyHeld'weapons.AmmoPackHeld thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar')

SET (EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar thirdPersonStaticMeshHeavyHeld StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncherHeavyHeld'weapons.AmmoPackHeld thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar')

SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncherHeld'
should apply the GL skin, then the Ammopack skin have to add in the original GL stuff too, these lines would follow all exsisting weapons, and have HeavyHeld mesh and weapons in the diceweapons.pkg for everything there are heavy held animations however

also maybe I have to duplicate the mesh into the diceweapons.pkg? that dosen't make sense to me but there appear to be mesh in those files..however in bodeans effects there are no mesh. he does have his own emitters (thru classes menu) built and working in it for creating the color effects. it does have the bare bones textures used in order to create those emitters.

sooo then I do need to save the ammo pack to it....sssooooo the flags also would have to be added to the weapons file..neat so that might solve the having to connect, disconnect, exec, reconnect...then you might be bale to add it to your start up...ooor just boot the game and run the exec trans flag because then the weapons thingy would have all ready been loaded at start up

I think?...maybe I think maybe close but not quite I'll look at it again tomorrow hopefully someone reads this and has input lol

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:52 pm

OakTribes wrote:Image

IMPERIAL MERCURY JETPACK

This short guide will show you how to replace your Imperial Light's jetpack with that of Mercury, the assassin from the single-player campaign.
Big thanks to Cobra for helping me make this! Also thanks to Bodean for the methods used here and Dice for being Dice.

HOW TO DO IT

1.) Create a new text file in C:\Program Files\VUGames\Tribes Vengeance\Content\System (or wherever your Content/System directory is)
If you are using a file like Dice.ini already, open that file instead.
Paste this in the text file:

SET EquipmentClasses.JetPackLightImperial StaticMesh StaticMesh'LightArmour.MJetpack'
Save the file as Mercury.ini and close.

2.) In the same directory, (Content/System) open up VisualEffects.ini
In VisualEffects.ini, find [ImperialThrusting] and replace the last line of that block of text with:

EffectClass=Class'fx.fx_mercury_jetpack'
Save and exit VisualEffects.ini

3.) Right click your Tribes Vengeance shortcut and click properties. In the Target box, after all the text already in there, paste this:

-exec=Mercury.ini
Then click Ok. This will automatically execute the file that changes your Imperial Light's jetpack when you load up T:V.
All done!

soooo in this set command it only calls the mesh...so when bringing the mesh it calls with it the skin/texture data...making me thing that the mesh has to be made all ready and skinned befor it is able to be called up...but that is not the case with the flags.. so there is a way to skin it without duplicating the mesh's

now another thing is the editor never puts both the ammo pack and any light weapon together but calls up a mesh fo a heavy weapon in the case of teh GL and pod cutting out parts of the weapon that might stick thru the ammopack and first person arm, thus logically in game eliminating the need for the "reload" animations of the light with the weapons..also the animations for empty

in the case of the GL the barrell loader clip dealy is in the same location and same size as the mortar and hsows up with skinned weapons in heavy armour with the current build however in game with defautls on it does not show up meaning that it does indeed call up the heavyheldgenadleauncher model

nothing new in the code box just bringing it with

; Mortar Setup
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncher'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'

SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh('DiceWeapons.HeavyHeldGrenadeLauncher',DiceWeapons.Mortar') ?

that dosne't look quite right either...

so does that mean they can be run in a group..like not have to run the set command more than 2 or 3 times per weapon..once for first person and once for 3'rd..and a third time for heavy?...or is each set command calling out a new mesh to skin because we have in exsisting code FirstPersonMesh standard FirstPersonAltMesh Heavy ThirdPersonStaticMesh Standard PersonAltStaticMesh Heavy then just StaticMesh I imagine the dropped version...sooo...mmmm

if I get this figured out it would also make flags transparent when held and fully visible when not..witch means that on the stand and on the player they would be invisible, but on the ground or in the air they would not be..possible only invisible when on the player

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:32 pm

OakTribes wrote:
DiceRolla wrote:it's actually making sens of the ini I'm stuck with..but I did only test it out for two evenings maybe a total of 2 hours, it looks like I have something close or what I need is all ready in the "dice.ini" and I just am not recognizing it
; Mortar Setup
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncher'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar' thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld' thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld' StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'

Again, it's very speculative. This would just be the next step of trial+error I would take.

thats actually the type of thing I'm looking for really lol I will try it at some point in the future I guess...I'm having all sorts of issues with the REV map pack now..I keep updating my post on the announcement with the list of what is and isn't done on the bottom of page 1 of the post for a progress report for anyone following..well my progress and it's also been my log of changes/editors notes

also you do not need to make a pkg or import any textures to test a modified .ini for the weapons you just need the location of a texture, like lets say Meadows.BoulderMossy

should look like

SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'Meadows.BoulderMossy'

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:17 am

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 834&type=1

; Grenade Launcher Setup
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.HeavyGrenadeLauncher'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncher'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.HeavyGrenadeLauncherHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncherHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncherHeld'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher emptyMaterials (Shader'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncher.GrenadeLauncherSolid_Shader')
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonMaterials (Shader'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncher.GrendadeLauncher_Shader')
thar be the most recent fuck up in attempting to set it..

ended up with a whole heavy transparent (ammobox included) shader I tryed what cobra suggested above to skin the Grenade, but it failed after trying this. Stilll all ways transparent. on the ground first person thrid person and on other players