Notification app for when players are online [Android]

Everything about Tribes.
ShadeOfChaos

Notification app for when players are online [Android]

Post by ShadeOfChaos » Mon May 04, 2015 2:49 pm

So, in my eternal strife to be more and more lazy, I made an app to notify me when people are on T:V.
Cuz you know, sometimes you wanna play, but no one's on, so you go do something else and check the stats page every so often...

But I digress, let's get back on topic.

I'll put the link here in case anyone is interested, though note that I'd call this a really early build:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... serverinfo

Short readme:
To use, just open the app, it'll run immediately.

It will "POOT!" if someone's online anywhere.
It'll check every 3mins (default), so if people are online for a longer period of time, it will "POOT!" every 3mins.. This to ensure that you didn't just miss it the first time.
Don't like sounds? Use the vibration or LED (if your phone has one).

To stop it from running, either set it to not run in the background in the settings, or hit the "Kill application" button - which is essentially a mute for your alarm clock.

Yh, lazy description.. Anycase if you run into any issues lemme know.
I'll keep stock of the known issues and future intents here.
Release version 1.0.0

Requires Android 4.1 or higher.

Known issues:
  • When the application isn't killed after the first "POOT!", it may "POOT!" more than once next check. (Debug version doesn't have this issue, only release) [Medium priority]
  • Blank screen serverlist - This happens when the stats application has an error or goes down. [Low priority]
Future features:
  • people to set the amount of players required for their notifications [High priority]
  • Allow for people to select which servers they want to be notified of [Medium priority (Mostly for the US servers, as 80% of the time it's going to be ProMod)]
  • Variable check-rate, rather than standard 3 mins, allow people to choose [Medium priority]
  • Sound notifications other than "POOT!" [Low priority]
  • Rewrite code in lower API for earlier android builds [Low priority (Unless a lot of users use an earlier version of Android)]
  • Scrollable server list [Low priority (Unless people have issues with their screen sizes)]
Permissions required:
  • full network access (This is required to pull in the server info)
  • view network connections (This is required to validate whether or not you have a connection the internet)
Release version 1.0.4 and hotfix 1.0.5

Requires Android 4.1 or higher.

Resolved issues:
  • When the application isn't killed after the first "POOT!", it may "POOT!" more than once next check. (Debug version doesn't have this issue, only release) [Fixed]
  • Blank screen serverlist - This happens when the stats application has an error or goes down. [Altered to better inform the end user of what's wrong]
Added features:
  • Allow people to set the amount of players required for their notifications [Added the ability to notify for 1-6 players online on any particular server]
  • Variable check-rate, rather than standard 3 mins, allow people to choose [Added variable checkrates, 1min/3min/6min/9min/12min/15min (NOTE: 3mins is the time the stats page requires to update)]
Known issues:
-None at the moment

Future features:
  • Allow for people to select which servers they want to be notified of [Medium priority (Mostly for the US servers, as 80% of the time it's going to be ProMod)]
  • Sound notifications other than "POOT!" [Low priority]
  • Rewrite code in lower API for earlier android builds [Low priority (Unless a lot of users use an earlier version of Android)]
  • Scrollable server list [Low priority (Unless people have issues with their screen sizes)]
Permissions required:
  • full network access (This is required to pull in the server info)
  • view network connections (This is required to validate whether or not you have a connection the internet)

Fireant
Revengeance Engineer

Re: Notification app for when players are online [Android]

Post by Fireant » Thu May 28, 2015 4:05 pm

Very cool!
First, i am not sure where you get the data but usually you can very well allow 10 second checks as info packets are very small.
Second, source on Github, please :P
I very much like custom notification icon.
Server details (like players) would be welcome.

Very good stuff indeed :)

Zip

Post by Zip » Thu May 28, 2015 4:50 pm

Brilliant !
What about an iOS version ? :)

Fireant
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Fireant » Thu May 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Looking at the native android ui i doubt that we are going to see ios version any time soon..

ShadeOfChaos

Post by ShadeOfChaos » Thu May 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Fireant wrote:Very cool!
First, i am not sure where you get the data but usually you can very well allow 10 second checks as info packets are very small.
Second, source on Github, please :P
I very much like custom notification icon.
Server details (like players) would be welcome.

Very good stuff indeed :)
As for the first, I get the data literally from the stats.tribesrevengeance.com page, that seems to update roughly every 2:30-3:00mins. Also jsut for battery life it's a nice amount imo. (it can be set to 1min now, but I can set it to 10secs if I get the source where the packages are, but I was busy so just did something simple)

As for the second, and others, I'll do that when I'm home from vacation, don't got my source with me. (10th of June)
Don't expect brilliant code though, I still suck at using OOP. ;P
Zip wrote:Brilliant !
What about an iOS version ? :)
I honestly have no knowhow on iOS development, so I can't make any promises there. Sorry. ^^;
Once I feel like I'm entirely done with this, I 'might' look into it.

Fireant
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Fireant » Sat May 30, 2015 5:27 am

Yes, that pages updates are kinda slow because of caching and other things. But I could make you JSON API with the newest data if you like, i was more or less preparing for that since the beginning so the code is structured nicely.