Woah there, what is this?

Everything about Tribes.
OakTribes

Woah there, what is this?

Post by OakTribes » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:16 am

I stumbled on a bunch of options by accident via function+f6. I've never heard this mentioned or used before (unless I didn't understand what it was.) Am I just being a newb?
Seems useful.

Hawk

Re: Woah there, what is this?

Post by Hawk » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:48 pm

The second and third picture is information that can be accessed with the console command "stat all" (and disabled afterwards with "stat none"), I suppose it is a bunch of information what the game does and how it uses your system, much like stat fps and stat net (well as you can see, those are displayed in there as well). Might be useful if you somehow have knowledge about all those terms and what they do and how they work etc.

The first pic I don't think I have come across before, there's probably some console command for that as well, I wonder what it could be. Probably not much practical use for actually playing but, they could be class names that could be used to write mod code or something like that (although I don't have experience with that so I am just speculating). Maybe some practical use can be found for that info. Perhaps (and probably) someone else knows more about this than I do.

Btw, how did you get from the first pic to the second and third? Did you keep tapping that key combo and it switched the info on the screen? Anyway, nice find, the stat all command has been in some very old tutorial that is probably now lost, but always good to dig that back up and have it available in case someone needs it. Thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:52 pm

the first one is showing you map information...er engine information not map

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:34 am

Taking a closer look... It is a debug menu for game developers. This pops up after pressing function+f6 (I really don't know what key it might be on different keyboards, neither is the option in the keyboard layout menu.)

In case anyone might see something of use here, this is the entirety of the options available, though few seem to have a visible effect:

Game:
  • See menu above
Render modes:
  • Wireframe
    Zones
    Flat Shaded BSP
    BSP splits
    Regular
    Unlit
    Lighting only
    Depth complexity
    -
    Top down
    Front
    Side
Render commands:
  • Blend
    Bone
    Skin
    Actor Collision
    -
    Volumes all
    Volumes none
    Blocking volumes
    Physics volumes
    (various graphical specification presets)
Stats (some shown in screenshots in the first post)
  • All
    None
    -
    Render
    Game
    Hardware
    Net
    Anim
Show Commands
  • Show actors
    Show static meshes
    Show terrain
    Show fog
    Show sky
    Show coronas
    Show particles
    Show decolayers
Options
  • Video (resolution+brightness settings)
Karma physics
  • Collision
    Contacts
    Triangles
    Com
    -
    Kstop
    Kstep
Shadows
  • Debug shadows
    Toggle volumes
    Show BSP
    Show static mesh
    Show terrain
    -
    Toggle light passes
    BSP passes
    static mesh passes
    terrain passes
    skeletal passes
The showing of animation stats seems the most promising from my perspective. It lists every animation that is in your view (As you can see in the first post, it's listing the spinfusor disc spinning, the inventory station gas emitting etc.)

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:33 am

that would be exceptionally useful for learning how to map, or well basically reverse engineering things.. like moving doors that open when a play gets within X number of units. Finding BSP holes. and figuring out bots (cobra =P)

Cobra
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Cobra » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:03 pm

If only I could figure out how to enable that debug window or show the settings on the 1st screenshot xd

Anyway, other than that there is also the advanced game settings you can bring up by typing "preferences" in console.
(allows you to change some values that can be found in the ini files with a UI.)
Cobra ~ Cake

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Cobra wrote:If only I could figure out how to enable that debug window or show the settings on the 1st screenshot xd

Anyway, other than that there is also the advanced game settings you can bring up by typing "preferences" in console.
(allows you to change some values that can be found in the ini files with a UI.)
For the settings in the first shot you can type 'stat anim' to enable it, and 'stat none' to disable it. (Figured out by what Hawk said earlier.)
I guess there are corresponding console commands for all the above options, I haven't tried any others than 'stat' though.
I'm intrigued by "preferences." I can see a screen with options appear when I back out of my Tribes game, but I can't select anything.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:45 pm

I would really like to figure this out as well...it may give me what I need to know in order to do the weapon skins properly...what is your function button? your on a lap top if I remember correctly..that means it might be a button only your keyboard has lol. mmmmm according to wikipedia the fuction button is the windows logo on my keyboard

function F4 is a shortcut to the admin screen... but function F6 did not bring up the debug menu for me...I've seen this in the past there is a console command that would open it

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:28 pm

Thing is, I have the habit of destroying my keyboards (in particular the WASD part)
The current keyboard I have is an American version and doesn't have any symbol over f6, neither does pressing it seem to do anything outside of the game, giving me no clues as to what it actually is.
The plot thickens.

ShadeOfChaos

Post by ShadeOfChaos » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:23 pm

DiceRolla wrote:I would really like to figure this out as well...it may give me what I need to know in order to do the weapon skins properly...what is your function button? your on a lap top if I remember correctly..that means it might be a button only your keyboard has lol. mmmmm according to wikipedia the fuction button is the windows logo on my keyboard

function F4 is a shortcut to the admin screen... but function F6 did not bring up the debug menu for me...I've seen this in the past there is a console command that would open it
The way it's set up keyboards using the function (fn) key, use the function keys (F1-F12) to perform the functions (dim lights, brighten, sound up, sound down) by default and the function (fn) key is held to stop that from happening so you can use the Function (F1-F12) without those functions from happening... Too many uses of the word function...

I personally have a function (fn) key on my mechanical keyboard, but fn+f6 nor f6 does anything for me. Might be something set up differently in your keyboard shortcuts (ini), or might be my keyboard.

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Good idea Shade, but when I looked at my keybindings in defuser.ini there was no mention of F6 anywhere in it at all. We need Sherlock for this shit.

ShadeOfChaos

Post by ShadeOfChaos » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:46 pm

The menu is the UDebugMenu

You can access it by hitting the "Pause" key in my case. "Scroll Lock" opens the console so you can check echo'd shiz (like when you use "flush" to flush your engine cache).
Mind you that to open either of these you have to be on a server (or host your own).

Also since we found what menu it was here's the console commands:

Code: Select all

//Get ini settings (Single example only, you figure out how you wanna test that :p )
get ini:Engine.Engine.ViewportManager Brightness

//Set ini settings (using brightness as an example again)
set ini:Engine.Engine.ViewportManager Brightness <val>        //Make sure you use "flush" afterwards to update properly

GetCurrentRes
SetRes 1920x1080   //1920x1080 can be altered to whatever ya want as long as your monitor supports it

//Render modes (Try them out in the main menu, doesn't seem to work ingame for me atm)

RMode 0 //Default
RMode 1
RMode 2
RMode 3
RMode 4
RMode 5
RMode 6
RMode 7
RMode 8

rend blend
rend bone
rend skin

rend collision
rend volume all
rend volume none
rend volume blocking
rend volume physics

//Render detail

renderdetail 0
renderdetail 1
renderdetail 2
renderdetail 3

//Stats

stat All
stat NONE
stat RENDER
stat GAME
stat HARDWARE
stat NET
stat ANIM

//Show

show Actors
show StaticMeshes
show Terrain
show Fog
show Sky
show Coronas
show Particles
show Decolayers

kdraw Collision
kdraw Contacts
kdraw Triangles
kdraw Com
kdraw KStop
kdraw KStep

//pass to shadow console commands

debugshadows t				// "Debug Shadows"
disablevolumes t				// "Toggle Volumes"
disablevolumes bsp t			// "Show Bsp"
disablevolumes staticmesh t	// "Show Static Mesh"
disablevolumes terrain t		// "Show Terrain"	
disablelightpasses t			// "Toggle Light Passes"
disablelightpasses bsp t			// "Bsp Passes"
disablelightpasses staticmesh t	// "Static Mesh Passes"
disablelightpasses terrain t       // "Terrain Passes"
disablelightpasses skeletal t       // "Skeletal Passes"	
The engine calls console commands using:
Root.ConsoleCommand

So we can search for the other console commands when we got the time :p

I'll make a list of other console commands I found later. :p

Hope that helps ya out. :)

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:14 pm

Legend :D Good work!

ShadeOfChaos

Post by ShadeOfChaos » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:41 pm

OakTribes wrote:Legend :D Good work!
Shoved some more stuff on this topic, cuz for some reason it told me I went over the character in a reply here :p
http://forum.tribesrevengeance.com/view ... ?f=8&t=255

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:00 pm

thank a bunch shades, I'm posting here to keep your new thread clean =P

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Again, excellent work :)
(And thanks for testing the admin commands for security flaws.)
"toggleDebugHUD" seems like it would be very useful for making videos without having to switch to a seperate HUD (if the no-hud look is what you're going for.)

ShadeOfChaos

Post by ShadeOfChaos » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Np, seems I have to reinstall tribes though - can't move, can't see chat, ini busted, locked at 24fps, can only talk using console commands... Harddrive failure ain't nice :p

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:33 pm

OakTribes wrote:Again, excellent work :)
(And thanks for testing the admin commands for security flaws.)
"toggleDebugHUD" seems like it would be very useful for making videos without having to switch to a seperate HUD (if the no-hud look is what you're going for.)

THATS THE COMMAND for screenshots!!!! damnit I was doing like "HUD 0" "hide HUD" stuff like that