Way out of the loop T2 player looking for noob advice.

Everything about Tribes.
scaled_One

Way out of the loop T2 player looking for noob advice.

Post by scaled_One » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:50 pm

To make a long story short, while I'd had an interest in tribes for ages I just never really managed to get into Vengance while it was relevant. That, it seems, has changed and I'm trying to figure out best starting poiint given my t2 'career' tended to revolve around being that one guy in public matches trying to keep the base working, then dying constantly because actual shooty shooty skills suck.'

I'm going to go with single player, but against bots/campaign tends to not have much on live players.

Then again I'm more than a little interested in the game as an attempt at machinima (I have no skills so... yea.)

Seriously, its been ages since I even looked at this game. Thanks for giving me a chance to have a proper go.

Edit: Out of curiosity, what is T:V's 'Katabatic' map? That one map that seems to get heavy rotation.

Keelei

Re: Way out of the loop T2 player looking for noob advice.

Post by Keelei » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:10 pm

T:V's most poular maps are raindance, beml8-highlands(retail one sucks dicks), and probably tropics/bloodveldt

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:40 pm

I would suggest watching the http://tribesrevengeance.com/serverstatus.php page and jumping online when I see people and actually playing a few rounds of CTF, skiing is huge, and basically you just have to start learning terrains of maps people play on. As far as shooting people, I turned my mouse to max on windows and use the mouse acceleration ingame at 5.5 ish (I like between 5 and 6) and just take your time and learn how to lead a target, eventually it will all start coming together. annd if you see me ingame ever I'm probley on par with your own skill level

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:29 pm

In Vengeance setting up/maintaining bases isn't as important. Just worry about ski-ing and familiarising yourself with the games physics to start with :) Once you can reach decent speeds aiming becomes a lot easier.

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:48 am

T:V version of Katabatic is a pretty well made remake after the T2 version (the bases and terrain feel pretty accurate), but unfortunately because of the differences between T:V and T2 (such as how the physics work/feel and you can't go out of bounds in T:V etc.) it is not as suitable for the gameplay in T:V. I wouldn't mind giving it a try in the rotation for a short while but most (if any) players would not like the map so can't really justify forcing it on them ;)
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Hello and welcome to Tribes Vengeance!

As Hawk said, the T:V remake of Katabatic is pretty decent but it just doesn't fit into T:V physics. However, with a ton of practice it could proof to be pretty decent after all but one may ask what's the point.

Nowadays games focus a lot on the moving part of Tribes. On the most populated server, base rape has been disabled and deployables have increased hit points. All vehicles but the rover are disabled. This means that the game is primarily focused on playing the flag, fast gameplay and of course chasing. My ultimate dream, however, would be to revive the retail community so that those who enjoy vehicles and base rape, can have their fun as well. We are getting to that point, but it is taking time.

If you need any help, advice or anything else... please do not hesitate to contact me. I hope you will enjoy the game as much as we do. :)

HighDive

scaled_One

Post by scaled_One » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:16 am

Still working through single player. Not liking how hard it feels even on normal. Probably a bad sign.

What good is the grapple launcher?

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Yeah, Tribes Vengeance (all Tribes games actually) are very tough at the beginning. It simply takes a while to get a hold of it, but once you do... ;)

The grappling hook is a very powerful tool but besides a few levels in the Single Player, you can finish the entire storyline without ever needing to use it. Fact is though, however, that in the Multiplayer part of this game the Grappler has almost become a necessity if you want to keep up. It is very difficult outphasing someone with grappler when you don't have one. That doesn't necessairily mean it's impossible, though.

HighDive

scaled_One

Post by scaled_One » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Worrying, but I suppose no help for it.

Just finished story mode so will get multi up to poke around as soon as things here settle. Thanksgiving and whatnot.

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:30 pm

Alright!

Hope you will enjoy yourself in our currently small community. If you need any help regarding the in game stuff then please don't hesitate contacting me or anyone else. We happily teach you the tips and tricks we have discovered along the way.

HighDive

scaled_One

Post by scaled_One » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Right now it's just figuring out the basics of lead and which weapon at what range. Was on a nice CTF server yesterday. Not sure how useful I was other than making guy have to keep track of another player, and rolling the buggy out for an added spawn point, but overall was nice.