Error

Having problems trying to play Tribes Vengeance? Encountering crashes, can't get a HUD to work, ... ?
Post in here!
HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Error

Post by HighDive » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Code: Select all

1.0.1(63446)

Crash Time: 08/21/15 23:11:56

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3303 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (5382)

TV Build Number: 63446

Failed to assemble vertex shader GlobalDiffuseSpecularBumpDynamic.vsa:

Unknown Error

History: RTCVertexShader::CompileShader <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterialBlending <- FD3DRenderInterface::DrawPrimitive <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render [WeaponGrappler317] <- RenderSolidScenePass <- RenderSolidScenePasses <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
Anyone an idea whats up?

HighDive

Fireant
Revengeance Engineer

Re: Error

Post by Fireant » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:31 am

Shaders failed to compile, which probably means that something got wrong on the gpu or on a way to it.
Are you sure you have gpu drivers installed? There is a checkbox in tribes settings that reads something like "pixel shaders v2" - uncheck it (or disable it via ini file).

Sidenote: How the hell does computer with GTX 970 and something that looks like I7 have only 1GB of ram o_O.

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Yeah I am pretty sure I have run through all the drivers and stuff. Seems I got some troubleshooting to do hehe....

PC build:

i7 5820K CPU
GTX 970 MSI Gaming 4GB GPU
MSI Gaming 7 X99S MoBo
16GB DDR4 RAM

I do have the cachesizemegs variable in TV_CD_DVD.ini set to 1024, so maybe that is where it is coming from?

Running the game as administrator and XP SP2 compatibility mode.

HighDive

Fireant
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Fireant » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Yes, cache size megs could be it. But I doubt that as the error happens before any data is sent to the gpu.

You could try installing Unreal 2 and see if that works, and if it does not then debug it with their community as there certainly is more of them.
Check "NVIDIA Control Panel" to see if you don't have configured any global overrides (like force AA or something) and if you do, disable them. But symptoms of that problem would be graphical glitches not compilation errors...
Maybe it's just Tribes beign silly as usual, nobody ever had this problem and you have to do some black magic with your computer to make them work.

Edit: Also make sure you have DirectX installed.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:54 pm

thats a corrupt shader, an uninstalled driver or incompatible hardware issue I had that in the past and it was a misplaced or corrupt tribes file. had you been messing with .ini's befor this error occured?

Fireant
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Fireant » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Yes exactly. This would be the exact error if you made a syntax error in your shader file. It could be caused by file corruption too, but I dont think I ever had file corruption so it seems unlikely to me.
Thinking about it more, it is likely that shaders are generated during runtime based on the settings. So cache size megs and similar could play its role.