Tried to up Res and game crashes at launch

Having problems trying to play Tribes Vengeance? Encountering crashes, can't get a HUD to work, ... ?
Post in here!
HeyChristo

Tried to up Res and game crashes at launch

Post by HeyChristo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 pm

So I just downloaded this, cracked it and copies over the new dll file. I launched it first time successfully and naturally the first thing that I wanted to do was max out the graphics. When I did that the screen started flashing and then the game crashed giving me this error: (Note that it only reads 4gigs of ram when I have 16.)

1.0.1(63446)

Crash Time: 03/12/15 15:02:44

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3404 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (4752)

TV Build Number: 63446

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (E_INVALIDARG). Please delete your TV.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

{UPDATE 1}
1.Tried compatibility mode. same thing.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- HandleBigChange <- UD3DRenderDevice::Lock <- UViewport::Lock <- UWindowsViewport::Lock <- PrecacheRenderData <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

I have tried deleting the tv.ini file as it states to no avail.

UPDATE 1.
1. Tried compatibility mode. Same thing.
2. Repeated tries to open game result in flashing screen continued by crash. Occasionally it lets me in but defaults back to 640x800 resolution. The beauty of Tribes Ascend is that it runs in 4k. I cannot switch this version to any other res because it crashses instantly.
3. Looks like a memory leak in the texture file as something is eating my RAM:

1.0.1(63446)

Crash Time: 03/12/15 15:34:27

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3404 MHz with 1023MB RAM

CreateTexture failed(E_OUTOFMEMORY).

History: FD3DTexture::Cache <- FD3DRenderInterface::CacheTexture <- SetBumpMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetShaderMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterialSP <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render [SkeletalDecoration1] <- RenderSolidScenePass <- RenderSolidScenePasses <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- PrecacheRenderData <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

I'll try to reboot later and give it another whirl.

UPDATE 2.
BAM- GOT IT WORKING! Needs windows XP SP 2 compatability. Maxed out the graphics and doesn't look so bad. Too bad there aren't more players.

UPDATE 3:
Game continues to crash after playing a while at certain times. I can't get past single player arena before it crashes giving me this error.

1.0.1(63446)

Crash Time: 03/13/15 19:07:20

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3404 MHz with 1023MB RAM

AIGrunt3Beagle SaveGame_Act%202%3A%20Scene%201%20(Coliseum%20-%20Territory%20Round).AIGrunt3Beagle32 (Function Gameplay.Character.GetRadarInfoClass:0001) Runaway loop detected (over 1000000 iterations)

History: FFrame::Serialize <- UObject::CallFunction [SCRIPT='Gameplay.Character.GetRadarInfoClass' OBJ='AIGrunt3Beagle32'] <- UObject::CallFunction [SCRIPT='Gameplay.TribesHUDBase.AddHUDMarker' OBJ='TribesCharacterHUD0'] <- UObject::CallFunction [SCRIPT='Gameplay.TribesHUDBase.UpdateHUDSensorData' OBJ='TribesCharacterHUD0'] <- UObject::CallFunction [SCRIPT='TribesGui.TribesInGameHUD.UpdateHUDData' OBJ='TribesCharacterHUD0'] <- UObject::CallFunction [SCRIPT='TribesGui.TribesCharacterHUD.UpdateHUDData' OBJ='TribesCharacterHUD0'] <- UObject::CallFunction [SCRIPT='Gameplay.TribesHUDManager.UpdateHUDData' OBJ='TribesHUDManager0'] <- UObject::CallFunction [SCRIPT='Gameplay.PlayerCharacterController.PlayerTick' OBJ='PlayerCharacterController1'] <- UObject::ProcessEvent [Function Gameplay.PlayerCharacterController.CharacterMovement.PlayerTick() on PlayerCharacterController SaveGame_Act%202%3A%20Scene%201%20(Coliseum%20-%20Territory%20Round).PlayerCharacterController1] <- APlayerController::Tick <- APlayerCharacterController::Tick <- TickActorObjects <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick [(NetMode=0)] <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
Last edited by HeyChristo on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

OakTribes

Re: Tried to up Res and game crashes at launch

Post by OakTribes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Good to hear you managed to resolve your problem (and welcome!)
Keep an eye on the server status tool for players! There generally won't be much activity and then peak times with many players. Sundays are good too.
http://tribesrevengeance.com/serverstatus.php

Oui

Re: Tried to up Res and game crashes at launch

Post by Oui » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:20 pm

i have the same problem when trying to change resolution in-game , so i simply do it manually , in Program/Bin/TV_CD_DVD.ini