Ambient Sounds

In here, all topics related to new T:V content (maps, skins, textures, ...) can be found. Map, skin or other requests can be made here, too.
DiceRolla

Ambient Sounds

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:42 pm

sooo

Class Browser

Engine

Actor

Keypoint

Ambient sound

now in the the ambient sound properties you open the Event drop down in the field Tag and type in the name of the sound.

for X2 sounds for crickets it's cricketsplains, for plains birds it's birdsplains.

for glorax is gloraxrustle, owlcall it's OwlCall

now after you have the event tag assigned you need to go to the collision drop down and check the box bCollidActors=True

then at the bottom of the collison list is collison hieght and collison radius..I so far have only set BOTH these values to the same number, I imagine perhaps it only need the last one collison radius. they are default at 10 I like to set them between 1024/2048 for open spaces, 256/512 for smaller spaces or if you do not want htem to overlap.

also not all sounds are the same as what is listed in the sound browser as far as name, like plainsbrid01-07 are grouped under birdsplains

it's useually safe if the editor changes the case of what you typed in the tag feild after you hit enter as if stating your line where correct.

sounds like forest are by default ambient or fill the entire zone by default. if you do not want them to fill the entire zone type _Local or forest_Local in the tag line
or set the collison and do not type _Local things are still wierd not everything that works works every time someitmes it takes one option someitmes it takes two..I'm not sure whats goingo n with htese but I'm working ion it and I'm just recording the starting point here

other sounds will not play at all and need the collison properties set

now I allways also at the top check OnlyEffectCurrentZone=True...this sometimes works sometiems it doesn't

lastly there is a sound drop down at the bottom with one option in it witch is sound occlusion I would say it's safe to jsut set it to occlude_BSP is you do not want it to travel thru buildings...if it'sn ot rellevant leave it set to default

Definition
Sound occlusion is the blocking of sound by large objects between the sound source and the listener. As we all know from experience, this blocking is not complete, as with light. Instead, sound flows around obstacles to come from different directions with different amounts of muffling.

Difficulties
Simulating sound occlusion is not as simple as rendering graphics. To tell when your view of something is blocked, programmers can use simple ray casting, following a straight line (or ray) from camera to object to see if the path is blocked. Sound, however, can move around obstacles.

Solutions
In general, developers ignore this problem, as the solutions are very costly in computing power. One method for simulating sound occlusion is to render a rough model of the 3d shape of the virtual room and use it to simulate sound wave propagation.

Definition
Sound occlusion is the blocking of sound by large objects between the sound source and the listener. As we all know from experience, this blocking is not complete, as with light. Instead, sound flows around obstacles to come from different directions with different amounts of muffling.

Difficulties
Simulating sound occlusion is not as simple as rendering graphics. To tell when your view of something is blocked, programmers can use simple ray casting, following a straight line (or ray) from camera to object to see if the path is blocked. Sound, however, can move around obstacles.

Solutions
In general, developers ignore this problem, as the solutions are very costly in computing power. One method for simulating sound occlusion is to render a rough model of the 3d shape of the virtual room and use it to simulate sound wave propagation.

so with the rev back there will be different sounding winds at different heights, there will be glorax poots and growls and birds and crickets, and hopefully I get hte hawk call and thunder working this evening....this is all thanks to me getting frusteradted with how open and boreing and plain Mite was so I have psent the last two three days fucking iwth ambient sounds, readign the Team VT forumso n sound watchign tutorials on Sawt4, and unreal 1 and UT03 witch endedu p being useless lmao so instead I started opening maps and looking at properties of ambient sound info.....witch gave me a better starting point nad thank god for TrackMayhem, without it I would likely have not found the GloraxRustle sound command for glorax sounds....anyways...

OakTribes

Re: Ambient Sounds

Post by OakTribes » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't know whether it will help, but the bottom of SoundEffects.ini seems like it could give some info. Ignore if it doesn't, I'm just speculating. For example:

[cricketslo]
ClassName=Class'IGSoundEffectsSubsystem.NormalSoundEffectSpecification'
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'TV_amb1.cricket1',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'TV_amb1.cricket2',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'TV_amb1.cricket3',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'TV_amb1.cricket4',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'TV_amb1.cricket5',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'TV_amb1.cricket6',Flag=0)
Volume=15
AISoundRadius=0
SoundCategory=
OuterRadius=5000
InnerRadius=0
Delay=0
Monoloop=(Min=0,Max=0)
PolyLoop=(PolyLoopRange=(Min=-1,Max=-1),LoopSoundLimit=0)
LoopCount=0
Local=False
NoRepeat=False
NeverRepeat=False
PlayOnce=False
Killable=False
MonoPhonic=0
MonoPhonicPriority=2
MonophonicToClass=False
Priority=1
PitchRange=(Min=0.6,Max=0.9)
PanRange=(Min=0,Max=0)
FadeInTime=0
FadeOutTime=0
Retriggerable=True

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:30 pm

OakTribes wrote:I don't know whether it will help, but the bottom of SoundEffects.ini seems like it could give some info. Ignore if it doesn't, I'm just speculating. For example:

[cricketslo]

I think that might be the name of the sound the editor uses, as you saw it grouped all those other cricket sounds under this title like the way the sounds end up working.

thanks it should be helpful

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:36 pm

oh thats awesome I could bundle whole new sounds after looking at the soundeffects.ini.. neat extremely useful thanks a tonne

apparently X2 all ready did that with their sounds ..had to in order to get them to work, that and I see the sounds grouped in and the key words used to tag them...I'm not about to make any changes to it but this at least gives me the tags to every sound, hopefully I can get just the glorax call sounds on it's own because at the moment it poots and growls lol

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:05 pm

No worries :) I thought with all those values there had to be something there.
If you do look to make changes to the file and you're stuck with something I have a little knowledge of it that might be handy, but for the most part it's easy to figure out. It's pretty much the sound equivalent of VisualEffects.ini in layout and usage.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:26 pm

OakTribes wrote:No worries :) I thought with all those values there had to be something there.
If you do look to make changes to the file and you're stuck with something I have a little knowledge of it that might be handy, but for the most part it's easy to figure out. It's pretty much the sound equivalent of VisualEffects.ini in layout and usage.

can you make sense of my transparent weapons thread at all? it seems like something you'd be sued to, and it's pretty foreign territory for me, I messaged tapir about it but theirs no guarantee he will get back to me about any of it.

not something I expect you to spend a tonne of time on or anything just see if you can do something similar to like what you did with the sounds lol..I think I'm gonna go offline for the rest of the day ad move my PC to the shop next to the plug machine and hammer out some more REV map fixes...I have to spend an extra couple hours a day this week in the shop with the machine running (time on the clock) to make up for monday.

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:59 pm

I wish I could help with it, but I'm afraid my usefulness runs out outside of editing random .ini files in Content/System.
I can make some sense of it, but as I only realised that I could open PKG files about a week ago, (and that was via a comment from you in some other thread,) it certainly isn't an area I can contribute to without the same trial+error methods you are using. However if I remember or find anything similar I'll be sure to pipe up!

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:52 am

OakTribes wrote:I wish I could help with it, but I'm afraid my usefulness runs out outside of editing random .ini files in Content/System.
I can make some sense of it, but as I only realised that I could open PKG files about a week ago, (and that was via a comment from you in some other thread,) it certainly isn't an area I can contribute to without the same trial+error methods you are using. However if I remember or find anything similar I'll be sure to pipe up!

it's actually making sens of the ini I'm stuck with..but I did only test it out for two evenings maybe a total of 2 hours, it looks like I have something close or what I need is all ready in the "dice.ini" and I just am not recognizing it

Cobra
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Cobra » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:04 am

Just when I thought i figured TV out, I realize I am far from close lol
DiceRolla wrote:then at the bottom of the collison list is collison hieght and collison radius..I so far have only set BOTH these values to the same number, I imagine perhaps it only need the last one collison radius.
I believe there is an option in the defaultproperties called something like bCylinderCollision (also under the Collision tab). So if that is set to true, CollisionRadius and CollisionHeight would just define the volume of the cylinder. Not sure what happens when bCylinderCollision is set to false though (Perhaps the cylinder becomes a rectangle with width=CollisionRadius and height=CollisionHeight ?)

Anyway, this is pretty much the only thing I can think of without going through the same learning process as you have ;P. This will in any case be helpful if I ever need to edit sounds in unrealscript.
Cobra ~ Cake

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 am

DiceRolla wrote:it's actually making sens of the ini I'm stuck with..but I did only test it out for two evenings maybe a total of 2 hours, it looks like I have something close or what I need is all ready in the "dice.ini" and I just am not recognizing it
I can safely say I don't know, to test it out would involve a lot of the pkg editing and such (if you send me the pkg you are using it would make it a lot easier for me) but if I were you I would try this next:

; Mortar Setup
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncher'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar' thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld' thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld' StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'
SET weapons.AmmoPackHeld StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'

Again, it's very speculative. This would just be the next step of trial+error I would take.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Cobra wrote:Just when I thought i figured TV out, I realize I am far from close lol
DiceRolla wrote:then at the bottom of the collison list is collison hieght and collison radius..I so far have only set BOTH these values to the same number, I imagine perhaps it only need the last one collison radius.
I believe there is an option in the defaultproperties called something like bCylinderCollision (also under the Collision tab). So if that is set to true, CollisionRadius and CollisionHeight would just define the volume of the cylinder. Not sure what happens when bCylinderCollision is set to false though (Perhaps the cylinder becomes a rectangle with width=CollisionRadius and height=CollisionHeight ?)

Anyway, this is pretty much the only thing I can think of without going through the same learning process as you have ;P. This will in any case be helpful if I ever need to edit sounds in unrealscript.
it is sphereical by default hence radius lol ummm so if Bcyendrical is set to false it defautls to sphere and discards the set cylendrical collison.

now I found some more information on this.

_Local and _Global are not commands that can just be used they are commands set by the sound effects.ini

some sounds are global by default somehow..probley a property set while importing/setting up the pkg

but in the soundeffects ini there is a list at the top that says stuff like

Code: Select all

EventResponse=AmbientSoundAlarmBreakout

EventResponse=CharacterTapped

EventResponse=CharacterMovementJump_Olivia

EventResponse=CharacterFootSprint_Olivia

EventResponse=CharacterFootWalk_CivilianMaleBeagle

EventResponse=SpinfusorFiredEmpty

the above are the sound tags for various game actions

EventResponse=AmbientSoundAlive_ring1
is the sound tag for ambient sounds the part you use is "ring1"

later on in the list of sounds in soundeffects.ini shows you what sounds are grouped under what tag like my issue with the gloraxrustle sound...I thought it was a single gound but it was infact a sound group so it was not the names of the either file the editors sound browser was displaying Poot and Growl

example

Tag

EventResponse=AmbientSoundAlive_gloraxrustle

EngineInfo

[AmbientSoundGloraxRustle]
Event=GloraxRustle
SourceClassName=AmbientSound
Chance=100
Specification=(SpecificationType=GloraxRustle,SpecificationClass=Class'IGSoundEffectsSubsystem.NormalSoundEffectSpecification')

[GloraxRustle]
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'TV_missionsfx.GloraxRustle1',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'TV_missionsfx.GloraxRustle2',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'TV_missionsfx.GloraxRustle3',Flag=0)
Volume=100
AISoundRadius=0
SoundCategory=
OuterRadius=5000
InnerRadius=0
Delay=0
Monoloop=(Min=-1,Max=-1)
PolyLoop=(PolyLoopRange=(Min=-1,Max=-1),LoopSoundLimit=0)
LoopCount=0
Local=False
NoRepeat=False
NeverRepeat=True
PlayOnce=False
Killable=False
MonoPhonic=0
MonoPhonicPriority=2
MonophonicToClass=False
Priority=1
PitchRange=(Min=0,Max=0)
PanRange=(Min=0,Max=0)
FadeInTime=0
FadeOutTime=0
Retriggerable=True

[gloraxrustle2]
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'x2_amb.gloraxpoot',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'x2_amb.gloraxcall',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'tv_missionsfx.gloraxrustle1',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'tv_missionsfx.gloraxrustle2',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'tv_missionsfx.gloraxrustle3',Flag=0)
Volume=50
AISoundRadius=0
SoundCategory=
OuterRadius=8000
InnerRadius=300
Delay=0
Monoloop=(Min=-1,Max=-1)
PolyLoop=(PolyLoopRange=(Min=10,Max=30),LoopSoundLimit=0)
LoopCount=0
Local=False
NoRepeat=False
NeverRepeat=False
PlayOnce=False
Killable=False
MonoPhonic=0
MonoPhonicPriority=2
MonophonicToClass=False
Priority=1
PitchRange=(Min=0,Max=0)
PanRange=(Min=0,Max=0)
FadeInTime=0
FadeOutTime=0
Retriggerable=True
now I might not have that correct because I'm not positive where X2 glorax rustle draws it's sounds from it could be from various other parts of the soundeffects pkgs or the sound effects ini (there is still ike twice as many glorax sounds in the ini) but that should give some people a starting point and an idea of what sounds are used under what tag.

example

Tag=
gloraxrustle

sounds used= 
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'x2_amb.gloraxpoot',Flag=0)
FlaggedSounds=(SoundToPlay=Sound'x2_amb.gloraxcall',Flag=0
basically the tag section is the only part you need to worry about, I personally copied out all the tags into thier own text file.

confusing but that sums up what I now know about ambient sounds.
OakTribes wrote:
DiceRolla wrote:it's actually making sens of the ini I'm stuck with..but I did only test it out for two evenings maybe a total of 2 hours, it looks like I have something close or what I need is all ready in the "dice.ini" and I just am not recognizing it
; Mortar Setup
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.GrenadeLauncher'
SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponMortar firstPersonMesh SkeletalMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar' thirdPersonAltStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld' thirdPersonStaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld' StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.MortarHeld'
SET weapons.AmmoPackHeld StaticMesh StaticMesh'DiceWeapons.Mortar'

Again, it's very speculative. This would just be the next step of trial+error I would take.

thats actually the type of thing I'm looking for really lol I will try it at some point in the future I guess...I'm having all sorts of issues with the REV map pack now..I keep updating my post on the announcement with the list of what is and isn't done on the bottom of page 1 of the post for a progress report for anyone following..well my progress and it's also been my log of changes/editors notes

also you do not need to make a pkg or import any textures to test a modified .ini for the weapons you just need the location of a texture, like lets say Meadows.BoulderMossy

should look like

SET EquipmentClasses.WeaponGrenadeLauncher firstPersonAltMesh SkeletalMesh'Meadows.BoulderMossy'