FirstWave

In here, all topics related to new T:V content (maps, skins, textures, ...) can be found. Map, skin or other requests can be made here, too.
DiceRolla

FirstWave

Post by DiceRolla » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:18 am

All most recent links associated with this map are below as of Sunday, Febuary, 8'th, 9:30 PM -6 GMT (central)

any posts after this date may contain new information, I will try my best to update this post when uploading a new map file

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgHdXG ... e=youtu.be

http://tribesrevengeance.com/dicerolla/ ... eFinal.zip

Last edited by DiceRolla on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

DiceRolla

Re: FirstWave

Post by DiceRolla » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:13 am

Mind you this base was built for testing out new terrains...if you guys think this terrain is worth saving thats fine but I'm mostly looking for tweaks to the building flagstand.

I smoothed out the terrain quite a bit so that the "bowls" arn't so rough so it's playable and the routes definitely arn't down the center like it seems

scaled_One

Post by scaled_One » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:51 am

Just got kiddo settled down, so will test in a bit. Mind you I suck at movement, but I can tell you what I think.

scaled_One

Post by scaled_One » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Bases are close enough for fast action, terrain allows for nice skii ramping onto the flag platforms, and I like how the bases are set up.

Feels very much like two objects got dropped then set to hover for a match. Just enough detail there to feel interesting, but each bases has very clean flowthrough.

My one gripe is terrain feels kinda dead, but this is badlands, so that's kinda to be expected. Good work dood.

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:33 am

The pics look sick. Installing this on the server right now.

HighDive

Edit: should be installed now. Let me know if there are any problems.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:42 pm

scaled_One wrote:Bases are close enough for fast action, terrain allows for nice skii ramping onto the flag platforms, and I like how the bases are set up.

Feels very much like two objects got dropped then set to hover for a match. Just enough detail there to feel interesting, but each bases has very clean flowthrough.

My one gripe is terrain feels kinda dead, but this is badlands, so that's kinda to be expected. Good work dood.
very constructive.

people don't like too many objects on the terrain so I keep it low, and I wasn't about to start adding in particle emitters and more mesh if the majority thought the terrain was horrible

scaled_One

Post by scaled_One » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Will do another skii about to see what I can see. I am not that good of a player but I really do like the hill ramp followed by pit right under the platform. Gives a nice risk if you flub the jump or get knocked down.

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Alright, tried skiing the map for approximately 15 minutes and the following are my first thoughts. Note that these may not be entirely accurate as I had to test the map alone and thus could not do a high speed chase/rabbit type of situation to judge the terrain correctly.
  • Awesome concept is awesome
  • Size = ok
  • Feels a bit odd but I blame the fact it were the first 15 minutes I play this map
  • Might need some fine tuning to make it more friendly to those who do not wish to use the Grappler (smooth out the little slopes, optimize the little slopes pointing towards the flag stands, ...)
  • Ceiling height = ok
  • Border on the west side needs to be moved back at least 10m so that you can hit the little slope near the center rock
  • The base has too many catapults. Consider 2 a maximum
  • The terrain behind the corner trees is horrible. Didn't manage to hit these spaces correctly even once.
This will be it for now, until I can get someone to test this map with me.

HighDive

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm not certain if this terrain is really worth saving , I'm more concerned about the base's functionality. I planned on dropping this building over ten different terrains and picking the top ones to actually turn into maps, unless you think this terrain is worth fixing up.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Size = ok

I could stretch it out but thats it

Feels a bit odd but I blame the fact it were the first 15 minutes I play this map

it is wierd, spend about 40 min on it and you start to get the hang of it

Might need some fine tuning to make it more friendly to those who do not wish to use the Grappler (smooth out the little slopes, optimize the little slopes pointing towards the flag stands, ...)

I wondered about that, but sense it's kinda a one skip path down the center and it's soo quick to get back out on the terrain I wasn't so worried about it

Ceiling height = ok

never even looked at that lol

Border on the west side needs to be moved back at least 10m so that you can hit the little slope near the center rock

might be able to..depends where the terrain starts to repeat (should be able to)

The base has too many catapults. Consider 2 a maximum

they where meant to be put on the floating platforms just outside the spawn area, and due to it's size I didn't think it would be an issue, again like dropship easily fixable

The terrain behind the corner trees is horrible. Didn't manage to hit these spaces correctly even once.

those slopes where only good for a grapple turn I noticed.

however if you grapple monkey it's easy to keep up a 240+ speed at a relaxed pace grab the flag, and ski thru the base and reinvo

I'll tweak it and re upload

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:48 am

Floating spaceships = Fucking sweet.
Will the front and back entrances remain unshielded in future? I love the idea of a flag carrier flying directly through their ship to reinvo without stopping.
The layout of the inside of the bases seems pretty solid.

I do think however that either the bases are too close together, or that there should be some other floating obstruction between them, or that deployable catas should be reduced to 1 or 2:
The triple catapult+grapple+energy boost out the front of your base sends you on a B2B grab at 240 in seconds, and what with the convenient slope (the one with the big rock) to do a 180 right behind the flag platform it seems this would be too overly efficient for anyone to take a different route. This would leave defenders to deal with a constant onslaught of cappers from the front that reappear every ten seconds.
At least with 1 cata in the same setup, the capper speed is reduced to a more manageable 180.
Probably a lot more difficult is to put an obstacle in the way, say an abandoned semi-blown apart spaceship, that is tricky but possible to fly through.
Alternatively, you could move the bases a bit further away from each other, but I suppose that depends on what size map you are going for here. (Imo the current size is nice)

Navigating the terrain without a grappler is not easy but doable, I did find a couple reasonable routes to the flag. However, I think there should be a bit more terrain behind the ships as the 180-slope (with the big rock) I mentioned earlier is very grappler-friendly but poops on everyone else.
I feel it would be very tough for a non-grappler using Dist on this map to get anything done, aside from a heavy on the ground bouncing mortars off the bottom of the enemy ship onto their flagstand platform, and I am curious to see how Dist in general will function with this weird setup.

The fact that the flagstand platform is within grappling distance from the ground satisfies me and I don't know why.
I did not ski around for long enough to identify any massive issues with the terrain, overall I quite like it, aside from some ribbed hill edges that are major grappler rope cockblockers, maybe that's just cause I'm shit though :p

All in all, personally I really like it and I think with a few tweaks this can be a popular map, and like I mentioned in the DropShip thread, I am always (well, when I am free) down to test these out with other players. Good work!

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:05 pm

here is what I have found in about an hour..maybe 80 mins of skiing this map.

the bumps you guys noticed that cut your grappler, are actually short cuts across the holes, they actually line up with another bump on the other side that will launch you upwards just like the larger hole they just arn't very noticeable.

I did notice some of them are just a nuisance..but very difficult to locate in the editor. I've been skiing it to get a better feel where they are.

this terrain takes a very different approach it just does.

I can't really map the terrain larger, and I've tryed moving the bases back but that eliminates any route down the center, you just can't get off the stand and land anywhere useful. I wish it had more back terrain to, but world machine doesn't all ways give you exactly what you want.

Any thoughts on the terrain under the ships? I didn't do anything to those areas at all, kinda felt they where irrelevant.

the no grapple route I know of thats 240 ish speed start by jumping out the left or right side of the base near the ass end of it

are you talking about the red area or the green area? I personally have never ventured into the green area...the red area works for a high speed grapple turn on the rock texture at least for me

this is just a blank one for you to circle specific areas to help narrow it down in case we don't' get on the map together. The left side is west (Imp) the right side is east (phx) and I think down is South and up is north

I have so far smoothed a couple obvious weird hills out, and moved the barrier out on the north south and west sides and removed the two front catapults.

I am continually impressed with this map personally it works perfectly as intended with no deployable catapults you can grapple epack launch off the base catapult at 180-230 consistently and hit the flag stand, or jump out the sides and take a side route 200 without grapple, add some grapple turns 240-270 easy and make it back to the base invo and thru the base without slowing down. But thats after learning the terrain gotta know where those little bumps are.

I guess I need a little more specific advice on what you'd like to see as far as the center hills and the corners...I'll continue skiing it to see if I can't figure it out myself.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:05 am

Did anyone else have a hard time hitting the flag stand? like I know you can pretty much spawn and catapult yourself across the map and grapple home but getting a grab isn't that easy from any direction.

Notes

Changed textures on the ship a little...not perfect but it added a lot not so barren looking. might make one more for interior where the team symbols are.

took out all deployable catapults.

added 3 pults per side 1 front and 2 on the small floaty thingys by the spawn area.

worked on the hole behind the base...not good yet needs to not be soo steep..so move it forward and make it shallowerish..still needs to launch a player vertially. consider a bsp ramp might be easier to manipulate than the hsitty terrain tool in the editor.

on both sides of the center hill needs a bsp lip instead of terrain launch tooo in consistent.

terrain layers are kinda ugly consider smoothing the green grass textures.

make hill in corners to launch player at flag stand.

smooth out large holes so they are more predictable.

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:53 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc2Janx ... e=youtu.be (this video is set to unlisted)
Enjoying this map more and more :) I haven't quite been able to hit the enemies catapult on that route, I think with some skill that would make the through-the-base return very viable.

I agree that it is near impossible to grab the flag unless you are moving at a downward angle towards the flagstand. That isn't too big a problem though, it just means that you have to either use the B2B or grapple off the big dips around the edges of the map to grab.
If you do wanna change that though I would recommend giving the flagstand a little downward dip around the edges (like an upside-down plate) so that you can approach from a lower angle. That would also mean defenders on the platform have a better view of what's going on below.
It will be interesting to see how an active game effects the dynamics of grabbing etc.

A dulled colour scheme for the different factions ships exteriors (maybe a faction symbol on the outside) would be cool. Just a thought.

Could you post the updated map version? I can provide some more detailed feedback about the hills etc using the image you posted above.

As always, good work!

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:45 am

I have been working on the terrain..spent a couple hours on it the other day, and I have been considering the dull colored idea. I will not be touching the center at all I decided. and the inner holes I smoothed some I am really working on the outer edges and holes in the terrain to make it more useable.

I should have a new version done after the next time I work on it, not tomorrow but wednesday soooo probley thursday I'll have a version up (today right now is monday 10:45 PM)

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:05 am

Code: Select all

Changed terrain

changed a bunch of textures

added sounds

added emitters

color coded bases

new mopp file

re sized some trees

took out deploy able catapults

added 3 new catapults
alrighty after last weeks worth of photoshoping, and the last three days worth of terrain editing I am ready to have this next version play tested.

I feel it is far superior to the previous version.

I will still need to change this one last time Screen shot, add a little more detail, decide if I want to make one more texture or not, annd finalize the name. (would be nice if someone would turn up thier GFX and take one for me Spec and enter the console command to get rid of the text and get a couple good angles of the ship)

and whatever other changes you guys think need to be made. Oak or HighDive, if you have gripes about parts of this map you want me to fix please demo them and upload the video, that would be the absolute best way to do it. I think this map has potential.

http://tribesrevengeance.com/dicerolla/FirstWave02.zip

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:02 am

After ski-ing and messing around for a good 40 minutes, I can't see any glaring issues with the terrain (aside from the area you circled in green above being a bit difficult but it can't all be smooth sailing) I think you really nailed it this time.
It feels very natural flying around this map and as long as you don't go too high the terrain is very forgiving- though grappling the 4 trees in the middle help too if a players angle is too steep.
The bowls behind the base feel a lot better, and accommodate for non-grappler users also.
The overall smoothening seems to have made approaching the flagstand from a variety of angles a lot easier.
The removal of deployable catapults was a good move. The B2B is still very viable, as is grappling off the ship itself, racking up an extra 40 speed at the cost of taking an extra ten seconds to do so.

I really can't pick out much to criticize at this point, it has developed very well.
All I would say when it comes to aesthetics is dull the yellow of the phoenix ship slightly as the current colour seems a bit sickly. Also some shallow pools of water would look cool in the deeper parts of the map imo.

How can we arrange a small game on this in future? Get as many people to download the map as possible and then suggest a match while the promod server is populated? Or arrange a date/time with specific people?

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:19 am

totally agree with all of if oak I am only free on the weekends now myself. No one on facebook ever responds to my posts soo I pretty much just spam it now and then when I make something new or want to try and get NA players together..witch to date has only happened once, but all attempts have been poor ones.

Notes soo

Tone down yellow

make new texture for interior by team icons simple like the bevel texture

try out coloring the bevel texture inside

attempt to make sparrows emitters work

add water feature to 3 inner holes

add bird chirp sounds to the trees

add moth emitters randomly

Screen shot

Rabbit mode
Thoughts

the corners I am going to leave, I thought about refining them, but I decided against it because it's so easy to grab and grapple around I felt that some "dead" terrain would actually help the game play by increasing the possibility of player error. I could make another type of hole steepen the existing hillside and create another hill along the baundry volume but in all the time I spent on it 2 hours or better befor the terrain mod and 20 mins after I only ended up there three times.

Oak I think you should make a short like 2-3 min fly thru video of this and upload it so I can post it to facebook with the link to the map (people should be more apt to try it then) so we could advertise a test day for it. Also I think you should tell folks about it in game...very few heed anything I have to say.

I mean look at my suggestion on the rotations lmao they do vote and change it but that wasn't entirely the idea. (not disappointed with the outcome just thought ras's idea was superb)

Anyways I map for myself I enjoy the creative outlet and the ability to design environments ever sense I was a kid I loved designing homes yards entire properties. But if no one tests and gives feed back I can't do what needs to be done to make it playable.

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:47 am

DiceRolla wrote:the corners I am going to leave, I thought about refining them, but I decided against it because it's so easy to grab and grapple around I felt that some "dead" terrain would actually help the game play by increasing the possibility of player error.

Agreed!
DiceRolla wrote:Oak I think you should make a short like 2-3 min fly thru video of this and upload it so I can post it to facebook with the link to the map (people should be more apt to try it then) so we could advertise a test day for it. Also I think you should tell folks about it in game...very few heed anything I have to say.
Will do :) The only thing is it won't look as pretty as intended on my potato of a laptop (the quality of above vid is as good as it gets.) I'll most likely have it done by the end of this Sunday unless someone with a better machine wants to.
DiceRolla wrote:I mean look at my suggestion on the rotations lmao they do vote and change it but that wasn't entirely the idea. (not disappointed with the outcome just thought ras's idea was superb)
I think after some final group testing it would be a good move to add your map to the vote list with a download link right next to it.

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:18 am

The video's up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgHdXG ... e=youtu.be
I'll also post this in GFX for people that don't frequent New Content. If you figure a day/time that you'd like people to test or want to me change the vid description etc let me know :)

Also I would advise changing your original post to include the updated version, this video link and perhaps a screenshot. For the time being you can use either of these:

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:53 am

UpDated the first post with the most recent info link to the map a screen and the vid

PROGRESS REPORT

added sounds

modified the bevel texture on the exterior (pictured)

made new texture for interior (pictured)

toned down the yellow brightness by 30%

added emitters..bugs and birds

TO DO YET

rabbit

add in some bushes here and there

screen shot for loading screen
thanks a bunch oak, I think the video will help promote this idea lmao.

I was on the map again for another 40 mins tonight and wow I dunno man I love it. Also you don't even have to use the grappler to launch yourself from base to base just hop from one catapult to the next and boost once you get out the door and your there.

Again I feel the the flag stand is just hard enough to hit and the terrain is just about perfect it's easy to ski thru the base and reinvo or even just ski thru as part f a route.

I think one more day on this and it can be done done. I'm gonna leave out water I think it would hide a little too much of the slopes theres still some small bumps and subtle variances in terrain that the player needs to be able to see I think.

oooh what is the command to clear the stuff from the screen again? (like you used in the beginning of your clip in spec mode)

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:27 am

No worries man, glad to help :)
I have no idea what the command is, whenever I play a demo of this map it doesn't have a hud or anything by default (but I can still move around and do stuff unlike the demo glitch.)

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:50 am

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:50 pm

OakTribes wrote:No worries man, glad to help :)
I have no idea what the command is, whenever I play a demo of this map it doesn't have a hud or anything by default (but I can still move around and do stuff unlike the demo glitch.)
Whenever you record a demo on a server locally hosted on your machine, demos will always get the bug for some reason, hence why the hud is removed "by default". In your case it doesn't matter so much since you play with such a low fov anyway, so all the bug does is remove the hud and the score text when you cap a flag, kill someone etc :P.
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:40 pm

I still remember there being a command for removing everything from your fov like hud and text, because when you spectate theres that big white text in the middle of your fov "right click to view other players"