World Machine tutorials

In here, all topics related to new T:V content (maps, skins, textures, ...) can be found. Map, skin or other requests can be made here, too.
DiceRolla

World Machine tutorials

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:33 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOvqtBu ... bkYOyTKnbH

www.world-machine.com

world machine 2 has an awesome tool called layout generator wich allows you to make shapes that can be turned into fractal noise and make natural looking individual mountains rivers valleys and so forth.

huge improvement over WM 1 and 1 1/4

I belive it also has the ability to make terrain macros and terrain alpha maps..not that far with it yet...too used to WM 1.25

DiceRolla

Re: World Machine tutorials

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:23 am

soooo this was my first go with WM2 terrain editor, annd it maces macro textures for terrain easy as fuck compared to what I used to do...like an hour or more in photoshop...with this 10 min or less, and if you get terrain macros (means something totally different than macro for UnrealEd) off the WM website it can color them easier and faster also better than the built in colorizer

I just used drop ship, couple of things with making the light map macros

1) all colors should be pastelish...nothing dark

2) dark = bad

3) when clicking on "finalise terrain" to create your macro, write down your sunlight settings (Brightness, Hue, and Saturation) and change them from what you want to WHITE, Brightness = whatever, 200 is nice Hue = 0, Saturation = 255. I'm sure you can play with these some but I wouldn't suggest a lot as any tiny alteration results in a huge change on the finalised light map macro combination.

in otherwords dark and probley the wrong color

4) 1024X1024 macro texture minimum, I see 2048X2048 most often

5) angle of the sun, it seems that angeling the sun closer to verticle when building your finalised macro helps eleminate dark spots in the valleys on terrain, you can then angle it back but I wouldn't bump it more than twice away from where you built your final macro (light map combined with the color map you imported) as it throws off shadows, but sense the editor is soo shity at casting shadows on terrain it turns it into a more like blurred shadow but does not really distract from the darker more defined macro shadow.

all in all really awesome, this terrain height feild was an old one I generated in WM1.25, then saved as a heightfield, loaded the image on WM 2 applied errosion from WM2 (FAR superior) but I used the alpha map generator from WM1.25 to texture the terrain...I will import that device to WM2 and attempt to use it there see if it also is improved...however I imagine it won't be betterer..but certainly can't be worse

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Nice man! I'll be putting this on the new website whenever all the current data has been updated and optimized.

HighDive

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:34 am

I figure if I keep catalogging my relearning process I might accidentally compile a rough tved tutorial lmao