[Suggestion] What about a XenForo instead of a phpBB forum ?

Discuss this board in here. Suggestions, ....
Zip

[Suggestion] What about a XenForo instead of a phpBB forum ?

Post by Zip » Fri May 22, 2015 12:45 am

Hi everybody,

I was just in the process of making a review of community needs. We exchanged a few messages with HighDive and I could better understand the underlying problems. I am sure, moreover, that many of you are aware of that :roll:
Above all, we must see the "problems" I see as some things to improve, to let the T:V Community grow more serenely. For now, we can connect to a server, play, have fun in-game. That's Ok, the most important is there (Fortunately hehe).
Note however that the Forum clearly doesn't know the same activity which is found in-game.

The fact is that we need to create issues and interactions that drive users to simply come and have a look regularly to enable these same users (you, me, him, her and all the others) to build on their own, by their exchange, their share, their presence, a community. For now, the forum we can create topics, read them, meet one after the other, send each other private messages (more like malls than anything else). For my part, despite these private messages, I still find it difficult to interact with other players quickly or simply ask questions on specific topics that do not concern everyone. I mean that the forum does not live by itself, I do not know if this or that player speak such language, where it come from, etc .. bla bla bla

Maybe I detail a bit too much but it's to let you know closer about what I feel here on the forum. :ugeek:

So here's the description of XenForo
One of the developers of XenForo, Kier Darby originally served as a lead developer for the community platform vBulletin. The original owner of the software, Jelsoft, was acquired by the American new media company Internet Brands in 2007. Disagreements occurred between the lead developers and the new management over matters involving the next major release of vBulletin, version 4.0. While the team wished to make 4.0 a complete rewrite of the platform, Internet Brands insisted on using agile development atop the existing code instead. These internal conflicts resulted in most of the vBulletin developers stepping down from employment at Internet Brands in 2009. As part of a new team, Darby and other former vBulletin developers began work on a new platform known as XenForo.
I prefer to let you see by yourself the possibilities of it and interactions between users this could bring and then to talk together.

Here's the XenForo Website : https://xenforo.com
Here's a XenForo demo you can try : https://xenforo.com/demo/

Zip

Re: [Suggestion] What about a XenForo instead of a phpBB for

Post by Zip » Fri May 22, 2015 12:53 am

Here's a nice theme for games you can check : https://pixelexit.com/demo/?theme=Frag%20Zone

I must specify that the platform is fully, completely and simply editable graphically as well as internal.
(This Skin cost money, i know & don't worry, thousands of other themes are free. And in the worst case, a complete theme isn't very long to do)

It will just be quicker to get an idea with this link ;)
Last edited by Zip on Tue May 26, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip

Post by Zip » Tue May 26, 2015 10:59 pm

All comments are welcome :lol:

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Thu May 28, 2015 2:03 am

First of all, as I said before, thanks for taking the time to think about how to improve our current situation. We indeed exchanged a few messages and we indeed came to the conclusion there are a shitload of things which should be improved and that it isn't always easy to do so (alone).

I agree the forum could really, really use a makeover, but what I am wondering about is... What are the real advantages of using that platform over the current platform? I quickly looked around and it indeed provides a more complete overview of users' details such as language, etc... But what I fail to see is: how would using that platform boost forum activity to make it worth the work? I think I am failing to see the point here lol. I mean, you correctly state we need to initiate discussions and talks to get real activity going, but how would that be a different thing on that platform than what it is now?

Wouldn't it be easier if we simply gave the current forum (and thus platform) a visual makeover instead and try to boost activity by limiting my announcements and stuff to this forum?

HighDive

Zip

Post by Zip » Thu May 28, 2015 3:06 pm

I see what you mean.

It seems, I haven't been able to be sufficiently clear in my explanations haha.
That's why I think you'll understand better with a brief comparison between phpBB & XenForo.

One of the most conscises and understandable by everyone which I could find is here : http://www.technobezz.com/moved-vbullet ... b-xenforo/
Wouldn't it be easier if we simply gave the current forum (and thus platform) a visual makeover instead and try to boost activity by limiting my announcements and stuff to this forum?
> I don't think that I talked about limiting anything :|

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Thu May 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Zip wrote:
> I don't think that I talked about limiting anything :|
This was simply an example. Currently I am posting the bigger share of my posts at the T:V Facebook pages. What I meant is... wouldn't it boost forum activity if I were to post my announcements and other stuff solely to this forum?

Thanks for providing the link by the way. I'll try to look at it thoroughly tonight or tomorrow.

HighDive

Fireant
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Fireant » Thu May 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Im no forum expert, but would not porting posts be a problem?

Zip

Post by Zip » Thu May 28, 2015 3:46 pm

Not at all, i wouldn't talk about a change if the content has to be lost (again :? )

All posts & stuff are kept in the actual database. There will only be a simple transfer or duplication of a table by SQL request.
But few test in parallel have to be done to ensure that there will be no error

Zip

Post by Zip » Fri May 29, 2015 12:30 am

This was simply an example. Currently I am posting the bigger share of my posts at the T:V Facebook pages. What I meant is... wouldn't it boost forum activity if I were to post my announcements and other stuff solely to this forum?
Oh.
By "activity" I mean more "social engagement" than "exclusivity".
I think it's great that these announcements are published on both platforms.
Precisely because it concerns important topics, and if you do this the traffic gained on the forum will be lost on the other side on fb.

For the rest everything is perfectly explained in the link I sent you.

Zip

Post by Zip » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:12 pm

Any other points of view ?

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:16 am

I have taken a look at it between math and chemistry and it does look like a decent forum platform indeed. From what you linked and from what I've seen from various other sources, the XenForo platform can definitely have some advantages over the platform we are using right now, in our case. However... https://xenforo.com/purchase/

We don't have that kind of money available. We are barely capable of getting enough money together to keep this entire thing running, stand alone spending about 200 dollar on some forum software...

HighDive

hanahana

Re: [Suggestion] What about a XenForo instead of a phpBB forum ?

Post by hanahana » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:11 am

I have the same thing to say as the third comment about that....
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science