blaster tweaks

Want to request a map to be added to the rotation, got banned, ...? Post in here.

Moderators: Cobra, Hawk

Slazerov
Server Admin

blaster tweaks

Post by Slazerov » Wed May 14, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi guys, considering new possibilities that promod gives we got an apportunity to buff the least used weapon in Tribes Revengeance - blaster. Right now it it's being outclassed by others at every single aspect. Cg is more forgiving and deals more dmg in likely every situation, futhermore its also more forgiving since it offers continual shooting and is not based on energy resources. Basicly, there are a few simple ways to buff this forgotten weap to it's sensible state of usability such as increasing range, dmg, fire rate or lowering spread and energy ussage/adding ammo.
Share with ur ideas and dont forget that every opinion matters!

Ness

Re: blaster tweaks

Post by Ness » Wed May 14, 2014 9:21 pm

Reduce spread. By a lot. 70% of long range misses are due to wide and very random spread.

Oui

Post by Oui » Wed May 14, 2014 9:31 pm

reduce spread
Damage - not sure if there is a need to change it , because if you actually hit a target from a close/mid distance you deal a lot of dmg , than when reducing spread it will deal a nice amount of dmg

Keelei

Post by Keelei » Wed May 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Unrandomize the spread, make it an even circle or a square

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Wed May 14, 2014 10:11 pm

I think the main problems with it arise from the randomness of the spread, and the energy consumption. Shooting with the blaster from close range can be devastating, especially with a speed pack, but a couple quick shots and you run out of energy, making you useless for much else than unloading a fast burst of blaster shots and then hoping you don't die while your energy regenerates.

The blaster is meant for close range combat, as such I suggest the first modifications would be:

- Unrandomize the spread (but keep the width the same for now) - allows for predictability with longer shots, but the damage falls of when distance grows.
- Replace energy consumption with ammo - to actually be able to use it as a punishing weapon to quickly burst down an enemy. This should create a viable alternative for the cg (quick short range burst vs. long range sustained damage).

These changes should be mild enough to start with, we don't want to completely break the weapon in one test. After some testing further balancing will be possible according to the new needs.
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

Asmodai

Post by Asmodai » Thu May 15, 2014 7:39 pm

I love playing Blaster, I used this weapon many time with the standard loadout spinfusor, grapple, ep. It seems to be already fine but a bit weaker than other similiar weapon :

- Chaingun have the same bullet mecanics, which allow you to have a high hit ratio, but cg have a higher dps (if you take an average fighting range) and doesnt drain your energy. The only good point is that blaster allows you to switch with spin and to leave your target focus to dodge, whereas you have to stay focus on your target with chain.
- Spin and plasma have the same deadly range, and blaster have a lower dps than those weapons. Moreover, the energy drain wont allowed you to dodge, which mean you will eat a disc most of the time.

To conclued, blaster's strong points are its high hit ratio due to bullets speed and his fire rate. You can at the moment deal 72 damage in 1 second, which is pretty decent ;)
In order to improve his potential, i would reduce A BIT its spread radius, to improve his deadly range but let it random, blaster isnt here to hit far target but to take advantage in close fight. Just imagine how dumb it would look if spread isnt random anymore (want a circle, a star, a tapir ? :lol: ). Flak canon in Unreal Tournament has the same mecanic and it works perfectly.
To finish, you can reduce and remove energy drain and add it ammo, but blaster would be super strong imo. I would LOVE it but many people wouldnt appreciate it in game :oops:

Btw, very good project, blaster has to be up since 2004 in fact :lol:

Keelei

Post by Keelei » Sat May 17, 2014 3:19 pm

o fuck yes tapir shaped blaster spread

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Sun May 18, 2014 6:49 am

Pic/vid or didnt happen <3

Dantheman221

Post by Dantheman221 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Blaster seems to be for CQ / indoor combat / least jetpack use IMHO, it uses energy and with low energy, I don't think you'll want to be shooting enemies with a high-energy weapon while you're using your jetpacks precious energy. Just saying :D

It should be like the sniper rifle or something maybe, actually have ammo, but not use energy, and like previously stated, randomize & reduce spread. Make it easier to hit targets with this semi-broken (or useless? you decide.) weapon. :mrgreen: :ugeek: :geek:
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/triberofvengeance
PSN: boogie1954
Vengeance IGN: Danny

Asmodai

Post by Asmodai » Thu May 22, 2014 6:12 pm

OMG you gave me a FUCKING idea !

Imagine if blaster works like sniper, the most energy you have, the most bullets you will shot, and with full energy you may be able to one shot a light at close range ! This would be AWESOME :D

Dantheman221

Post by Dantheman221 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:28 am

Asmodai wrote:OMG you gave me a FUCKING idea !

Imagine if blaster works like sniper, the most energy you have, the most bullets you will shot, and with full energy you may be able to one shot a light at close range ! This would be AWESOME :D
OMG This is brilliant! But is it possible to code this? :geek:
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/triberofvengeance
PSN: boogie1954
Vengeance IGN: Danny

Asmodai

Post by Asmodai » Fri May 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Good question, i have no idea :mrgreen: ( + add a charge mechanism, the most you hold your tigger, the most energy you will drain => more adjustable).

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Fri May 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Great idea Asmo! :)

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Fri May 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Idea is actually kool but implwmenting it would have terrible results. Blaster is not a sniper which required a direct hit. Blaster tweaked this way would have no real use except short range standing still def and in this case it would be op. Imo reducing spread n adding ammo instead of ene usage is certainly fine. If blaster had an option to use energy for additional dmg boost it would be damn kool tho
though :>

jes7ar

Post by jes7ar » Sat May 24, 2014 10:45 am

i would also say just reducing the spread of it.
if it takes no energy it would be damn op.

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:46 am

To be honest, I can only second what Hawk said.

Completely remove the randomness of the spread and only reduce the actual spread by a little, if even that.

This alone would not do the trick, so the energy to ammunition suggestion, is a good one. That way you don´t burn up your energy, yet you deal the same damage as before.

I too, suggest that we start with this and see how it works out.

HighDive

Ness

Post by Ness » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:32 pm

I asked some people and everybody agrees that thats an interesting idea, so I post it:

What do you think about blaster having negative knockback?

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Alright guys, brainstorming is over. Work has been resumed on this, so we will try the out these suggestions first and see how it goes.

Topic locked.

HighDive