Sniper head shot damage

Want to request a map to be added to the rotation, got banned, ...? Post in here.

Moderators: Cobra, Hawk

Sniper head shot damage

50 damage (No extra damage dealt)
14%
65 damage (Extra damage dealt, yet no instant kill on a light armor)
33%
75 damage (Instant kill on a light armor)
14%
80 damage (Allows a player to still have an instant kill on a light armor even though his energy level is a bit less than 100%)
5%
100 damage (Instant kill on light and medium armor)
10%
Other (please, clarify)
24%

Total votes: 21

Cobra
Revengeance Engineer

Sniper head shot damage

Post by Cobra » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Alright,
The ability to utilize a sniper head shot damage amplifier has been implemented into the promod. The way it works, is by multiplying the damage dealt (with a sniper) to the head.

This means that we now have the option to set a (maximum) head shot damage. As of now, the damage dealt to the head is the same as the damage dealt anywhere else on the body, meaning 50 damage.

To further optimize the current promod config, we would like to know what value you want to set the sniper head shot damage to.
Any explanation on what you chose and why is most welcome as it will help others understand your point of view.

The damage values on the poll represent the maximum damage (meaning that the player shooting with the sniper has 100% energy) a single sniper shot will deal to the head.
Cobra ~ Cake

Sengers

Re: Sniper head shot damage

Post by Sengers » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:13 pm

I would say make it 60-65. Enough to reward the shooter for headshot but I think insta-kill on light is just to much.

Ness

Post by Ness » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:32 pm

I'd actually like to see damage multiplier base on current speed.

sacrificium

Post by sacrificium » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:48 pm

as a sniper in other games and tribes ascend (my ping in vengeance is way to high so i just cap) i personally work hard to get kills and spots and help the team, often times headshots are just a secondary objective to getting rounds into the player im targeting, in tribes just landing a good shot is a task harder than one on other games (in my opinion) and a headshot would reward not only landing the shot good but getting a headshot would be a goal that is very hard to obtain but rewards the success, in my experience it is harder to land shots in vengeance just due to grappling hooks alone, not to mention the hella thick fog everywhere that limits range. what im trying to say is, sniper isn't really viable atm in vengeance due to its high skill cap and low productivity, you cant jet around and be effective at killing the capper with the rifle so why bring it when you can take another valuable piece of equipment like the hook or spinfuzor or chain-gun, adding this would make the sniper more viable and effective at its job, landing a head shot would probably still be a rare ocurance with the speed of the current vengeance players and it would put the sniper class into the game, even stilll with all of its weaknesses of mobility that offence can take advantage of. (even though im a capper and haven't played much i would still love to see good snipers in the servers

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:21 am

I always thought the default 75 was perfect, but now with the slight base damage nerf, a slight headshot buff to 80 would compensate for that and overall keep the total power somewhat intact, but shifting it so there is a clear difference between a headshot and regular shot, and make headshot something actually worth aiming for.
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

Cobra
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Cobra » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 am

I feel like the reason why people raged so much against the sniper is partially due to it's ability to instantly kill a light armor. This was especially true on defence where you could kill the incoming capper before he even started spamming nades on the flag stand. I therefore think that it is not best to make the head shot an instant kill on light. This is countrary to the general way a sniper works in other FPS games, but I feel that the ability to survive a head shot will contribute to the general fast action-based gameplay by still allowing the capper to do something

You cant really denie any credit or bonus damage to a sniper making the effort to hit head shots though, so I would still grant them a damage bonus. Something like 65 damage seems reasonable to me.

(Being the noob that I am, I added the 65damage option to the poll because that value has been mentioned before. This did however result in the previous poll-results to be deleted, apologies for that.)
Cobra ~ Cake

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 pm

I voted "other". So I shall clarify. I would like to see sniper do 35 damage to the body and 70ish to the head. Getting sniped in yer metal boot shouldn't take 50 of 75 health away. But getting sniped through the eye; well, ya, you should just about die. 50 for the foot and 75 for the head is silly. :) So 35 for the body and 70 for the head would be best imo. Don't forget how easy sniping is for the top snipers. And don't forget grapple monkeys are still nerfed at 10 grapples. Tribes is not about standing around sniping, or even mid air sniping; it's an insta-hit weapon after all. T:V is about FREEDOM of MOVEMENT. :) I would request my suggestion be added as an option to this vote. :) (holding little hope that the cabal will though :D)

Oui

Post by Oui » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:16 pm

probably first time ever i have to agree with yid

Fifato

Post by Fifato » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:47 am

Insta-kill is always bad thing, but when there will be no multiplier, people will dont go for the head and they will just bodyshot all the time, so I think a LITTLE higher damage on headshot is gooo, I would like to see it at 60 or something

Disguise

Post by Disguise » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 am

Imo yiddy is right this time xD, it's nice if hs's make more damage but insta killing is going to make people rage at snipe again so 35 normal damage is good cause u'd still be able to cap as capper and 70 damage is almost insta kill and worth aiming for.

Ness

Post by Ness » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:46 am

You have to remember that there are people that while standing have nearly 100% accuracy with sniper. We don't want one weapon to shut down entire game.

Dantheman221

Post by Dantheman221 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 pm

Ness wrote:You have to remember that there are people that while standing have nearly 100% accuracy with sniper. We don't want one weapon to shut down entire game.
This is pretty true, here.
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/triberofvengeance
PSN: boogie1954
Vengeance IGN: Danny

Dantheman221

Post by Dantheman221 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Ness wrote:You have to remember that there are people that while standing have nearly 100% accuracy with sniper. We don't want one weapon to shut down entire game.
This is pretty true, here.
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/triberofvengeance
PSN: boogie1954
Vengeance IGN: Danny

Harabec

Post by Harabec » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:35 am

50 dmg on hit, but I think instakill with a headshot on every armor would be nice.

Keelei

Post by Keelei » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:43 am

50 dmg on hit and 75 on headshots and its gonna be fine, 70dmg on hs if people cry too much

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:40 am

Agree with keelei.

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Thu May 01, 2014 3:31 pm

50 on Body is too much... it's not in the spirit of Tribes.

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Fri May 02, 2014 12:18 pm

How dear u judging about snipe dmg since u are clueless about its usebIlity? Only people with good enough snipe aim, knownledge and experience should take a voice about, not a guy whos the easiest target in EU who after several years barely breaks speed 200 and misses half of the grabs, i even havent seen u sniping once, so why anyone would care about ur opinion Yid? :shock:

Ness

Post by Ness » Fri May 02, 2014 2:16 pm

How dear u judging about snipe dmg since u are clueless about its usebIlity? Only people with good enough snipe aim, knownledge and experience should take a voice about, not a guy whos the easiest target in EU who after several years barely breaks speed 200 and misses half of the grabs, i even havent seen u sniping once, so why anyone would care about ur opinion Yid?
Thats why

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Fri May 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Speaking for myself now, I have chosen the 65 damage option, but I'd like to see 70 instead.

Sniper has always been a strong weapon and in my opinion that shouldn't be changed too much. By reducing the headshot damage from 75 to 70, you remove the instant kill factor it once had. This makes it so that you will need to hit the target at least twice in order to kill it, as it is with most weapons in the game (exception: mortar). I simply prefer this option as it makes things a little harder. However, if you manage to headshot someone, it shouldn't be too hard to hit him once/twice with a chaingun.

HighDive

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Fri May 02, 2014 2:54 pm

How about making a double dmg multipler on the headshot. Base dmg 50, hs 100. Seems fair enough imo, ppl usually are hitting max 3 hs a map anyway

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Sun May 04, 2014 10:26 am

No Skrowron, I do not use that disgusting unelegant weapon. I use the skillful things in the game , unlike yer yerself. Go plasma cg sniper boy go! Sniper and cg would be best out of the game altogether. :) But ofc that will never happen, people hate fair fights in this community, so Killer has the right idea, no weapon should have a one shot insta-kill.

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Mon May 05, 2014 9:38 am

The prob is u cant use any weapon effectively xD
Its not about single shot dmg, there also comes pisitioning, fire of rate, energy usage etc. Most of weapons deal more dmg than the snipe in some period of time, let it be 5 secs for exemple. Also hitting a headshot requires much more precision than shooting standing still invo Moore. Its a high risk high reward weapon that uses all energy resources. Dont judge my gameplay dude, im using disc with gl/plasma mostly but im convinced that i could kill ya with any single weapon separately :D

Disguise

Post by Disguise » Wed May 07, 2014 4:57 pm

Except grabler only

virus

Post by virus » Wed May 07, 2014 4:58 pm

Headshot should be instant kill. How hard is one's head?