Server mod discussion

Want to request a map to be added to the rotation, got banned, ...? Post in here.

Moderators: Cobra, Hawk

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Server mod discussion

Post by HighDive » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Hello Tribals,

Lately there has been some problems regarding the mod we recently put on: the promod.

Many people like it, many people hate it and many people don't know what they want. In this topic I'd like to give you the opportunity to voice your thoughts constructively.

So hereby, I'd like to ask you: what is your opinion about the current promod? What are it's good points and what are it's bad points? What other possible tweaks should be included if we ever get a newer version to be made?

NOTE: Only constructive posts with arguments will be paid attention to. Also, it is not the meaning you go flaming or go personal because someone may or may not agree with your opinion!
Note you are always free to email or PM me if you don't want to publicly post your opinion.

HighDive

Ness

Re: Server mod discussion

Post by Ness » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:44 pm

I pretty much don't care about mod choice because the only thing that promod changes significantly is burner - turned into plasma. Damage values don't really change the game anyway, only infinite plasma ammo encourages spamming.

But the thing I hate is all the drama it causes. If people threaten with leaving the game because of the mod choice then something is wrong. Probably with their mental state. We have enough pointless hate already, don't add up.

Also if I may suggest something, I'd like to make rabbiting little harder by reducing grappler's ammo. Also to encourage using 3-weapon setup to make the game more varying.

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Put the grappler back to 15. nerf chain and sniper. Back to burner.

Oui

Post by Oui » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:44 pm

15 grapplers are way to much. 5-7 i would say sounds optimal. Also remove plasma , since it is the #1 problem people have with promod...even tho it ain't OP at all.

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:15 pm

5 grapples? even 7? Get reall..go play Ascend. It was fine before "pro-mod" .. cg and sniper too strong imo .. but w/e....
Overall player base has fallen now. Any less than 10 grapples and you kill T:V. I quit if that happens.

Asmodai

Post by Asmodai » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:11 am

Hello boys,

my opinion about promod :

- Inventories are too resistant and their spawn time is nul. The problem is that allow a rabbit to reload all the time, rabbit which is already hard to fall. In pub, it's too much, in 4v4 match, we would see some rabbit phase longer than 5 minutes, maybe more. In fact, the main problem for me is that rabbit are able to reload whereas they carry the enemy flag. That allow failing landing and skiing, super grapple spam, no boost and ammo economy and no teamplay with passes. Like rover, rabbit should drop the flag when they want to reload.

- About grapple, 10 is fine. The potential problem is it fire rate, that allows you to make random spam very hard to lock during few second. But I like it personnaly, and you do it at expend of your speed. Except it, grapple is only overpowered against players who play without (that means nobody atm).

- Chain is too weak, scatter should be reduce or remove, in order to keep weak damage per bullets and make it a skill base weapon.

- Plasma is fine since it uses energy, that prevent spamming during chasing or dueling phases. The problem is that promod removes an original weapon with a unique mecanic for a spinfusor imitation (rude analysis on this point :P). Easier to balance Plasma than Burner too imo.

Time to sleep now :lol:

Fireant
Revengeance Engineer

Post by Fireant » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:40 am

Yea if you dont like grappler go play ascend or other tribes, because grappler is the biggest difference between us and them.
If you dont like cappers spamming grappler than reduce capper's grappler fire rate - no need to punish everyone.

Ness

Post by Ness » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Ness wrote: If people threaten with leaving the game because of the mod choice then something is wrong. Probably with their mental state. We have enough pointless hate already, don't add up.
yidbon wrote:Any less than 10 grapples and you kill T:V. I quit if that happens.
I vote for 9 grapples.

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:06 pm

Agree with Asmo and Fireant. Was waiting for that typical answer ness. Don't worry I'm just about done with T:V as it's going.

FS176

Post by FS176 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:26 pm

I'd just like to say that I 100% agree with the 4 points that Asmodai has made.

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Ness wrote:Damage values don't really change the game anyway, only infinite plasma ammo encourages spamming.
Energy consumption battles the spamming, as you will require very good energy management if you want to spam it while chasing or rabitting.
Ness wrote:But the thing I hate is all the drama it causes. If people threaten with leaving the game because of the mod choice then something is wrong. Probably with their mental state. We have enough pointless hate already, don't add up.
Yes, instead of going personal and talk unstructured crap, more people should try participating in a structured dialog.

Ness wrote:Also if I may suggest something, I'd like to make rabbiting little harder by reducing grappler's ammo. Also to encourage using 3-weapon setup to make the game more varying.
Oui wrote:15 grapplers are way to much. 5-7 i would say sounds optimal.
Asmodai wrote:About grapple, 10 is fine. The potential problem is it fire rate, that allows you to make random spam very hard to lock during few second. But I like it personally, and you do it at expend of your speed. Except it, grapple is only overpowered against players who play without (that means nobody atm).
Fireant wrote:if you dont like grappler go play ascend or other tribes, because grappler is the biggest difference between us and them.If you dont like cappers spamming grappler than reduce capper's grappler fire rate - no need to punish everyone.
We could perhaps toy around a bit more with the grappler's settings. I think the amount of ammo is fine at this point (=10) as most people aren't capable of running decent LT routes, so they will run out eventually, anyway. I will look into the other settings of the grappler and see if I can get anything decent worked out. Also, grappler really is what T:V sets apart from the rest and thus removing it won't be in the best interest of the game. Give me some time and I'll see if I can come up with something.
Asmodai wrote:Inventories are too resistant and their spawn time is null. The problem is that allow a rabbit to reload all the time, rabbit which is already hard to fall. In pub, it's too much, in 4v4 match, we would see some rabbit phase longer than 5 minutes, maybe more. In fact, the main problem for me is that rabbit are able to reload whereas they carry the enemy flag. That allow failing landing and skiing, super grapple spam, no boost and ammo economy and no team play with passes. Like rover, rabbit should drop the flag when they want to reload.
I agree. The deployables' health points are way too high. Now they are simply close to indestructible and that shouldn't be the case. I have tried lowering the health points to 400 just a few minutes ago, but for some nonsense reason the server crashes when trying to boot it with these adjusted settings, so yeah .....
With reducing the health points, I think we can pretty much solve the overpowered rabbit part. Lower health points, mean easier destruction. Easier destruction means that the rabbit won't be able to revisit the deployed inventory station time after time, provided the fact that the other team destroys the inventory station, of course!

I like you suggestion about the flag drop idea, though. It would make rabbiting much more challenging and since its a PROMOD, this shouldn't be an argument for not doing it. I will look into it, but I highly doubt that I can do this, given my limited knowledge about coding overall.
Asmodai wrote:Chain is too weak, scatter should be reduce or remove, in order to keep weak damage per bullets and make it a skill base weapon.
Recently, I have increased chain gun's damage to 5. This means it now deals 5 damage per bullet, which is only 1 less then the default settings. Of course, provided that the ini file and the mod work as intented. :)
Asmodai wrote:Plasma is fine since it uses energy, that prevent spamming during chasing or dueling phases. The problem is that promod removes an original weapon with a unique mecanic for a spinfusor imitation (rude analysis on this point :P). Easier to balance Plasma than Burner too imo.
Well, this is one of those things which is just hard to please everyone. Before, people almost never used the burner and if someone did, half of the server went berserk because they sucked too much and can´t deal with it. Now, more people use it and there is less whining about it overall when someone is using it (of course, after various attempts to balance it). This comes, however, at a price, which you described.

HighDive

Holgin

Post by Holgin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:22 pm

I really like plasma, it doesn't need changes that much. We could try it with lower rate of fire and energy drain.
About grappler - pleease, leave it like that, sometimes you use it 2 times when you are just leaving the base (highlands BE for example). Lower rate of fire will be extremely annoying I think.
Invos - health around 400 sounds fair to me.

Ness is right about ppl getting butthurt.

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:54 pm

Don't mess with Grappler rate of fire. It would harm the game. Fifato's poll indicates that people want the grappler empowered, not nerfed, regardless of
which was the starting point for the poll.

Ness

Post by Ness » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Don't mess with Grappler rate of fire. It would harm the game. Fifato's poll indicates that people want the grappler empowered, not nerfed, regardless of
which was the starting point for the poll.
I bet that most ppl would be able to do exactly nothing with grappler nerfed.

I don't care how much you can spam it, it never bothered me. But when somebody crashes into the edge of the map because they misjudged map size, they should stay for a while there, not just shoot grappler somewhere and go again at 250+ speed.

Especially that this is promod that nerfs a lot of weapons that were very useful while chasing.

But that's my pov and I'm not going to fight about it. Just remember, that right now many people don't play like they used to and when everybody will get back on normal skill level, with these settings maps like foregone will be rather unplayable once somebody grabs the flag.

Limerk

Post by Limerk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:02 am

Promod seems ok
What about a mod that disables grappler only for flag carrier? What do you guys think about the idea? I assume its possible to make a mod like this, but I may be wrong.

Slazerov
Server Admin

Post by Slazerov » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:41 am

I really love to see all these constructive posts instead of random annonymous poll vote, every single opinion is appreciated :P . Anywayz, ive played with the grapple fire of rate in the past and its not a way to do, every single time grapple break meant that ur able to use it a few seconds later. Ppl raged so badly about that. In my opinion the best solution would be adding some weight to the flag or reducing flag carrier's energy regeneration.

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Or just leave the grappler as it is and bring back fulll power sniper?

tapir

Post by tapir » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:22 pm

its called a PROmod so should force ppl to be pro. Spamming grap on every hill is not pro. Lets just give it a try and set 5-7 grap ammo and give a bit more power to sniper rifle.

Yidbon

Post by Yidbon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Grappler adds skill and freedom of movement etc,.. yer idea of CoD or halo tribes is a travesty. Grappler at 12 and sniper up to 48 dmg.

:roll: :roll: Go play Ascend if you want to, jeesh. :roll:

FS176

Post by FS176 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46 am

Could you list, or update the Server Info thread with all the changes that ProMod actually does?

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:46 pm

FS176 wrote:Could you list, or update the Server Info thread with all the changes that ProMod actually does?
Updated the post. If you need more information, please let me know.

HighDive

FS176

Post by FS176 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Many thanks for the update, I find it useful (and maybe others do) to know exactly what is different over the retail version.