Map rotation discussion

Want to request a map to be added to the rotation, got banned, ...? Post in here.

Moderators: Cobra, Hawk

Map Rotation

Only overplayed maps and never change the rotation
10%
More underplayed maps and never change the rotation
No votes
More underplayed maps and change these every now and then, keep overplayed maps unchanged
45%
More underplayed maps and change entire rotation every now and then
25%
Less underplayed maps and change rotation now and then
10%
More underplayed maps, less overplayed maps and change rotation every now and then
No votes
Other
10%

Total votes: 20

Ness

Re: Map rotation discussion

Post by Ness » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:20 pm

I second that. Played Mayata one too many times

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:35 pm

I had an idea to make 2 poll threads, one for which maps people would like added to the rotation and one for which maps should be removed. This could also be reset when needed to let people vote again when the rotation gets boring. Just need to figure out what amount of votes would count as a "pass" for adding/removing a maps, something like 5, 7 or 10 votes? Everyone would have the chance to have their voice heard by voting but the rotation won't get ruined for everyone by 1 person being loud enough for a map that everyone else hates. Anyone like this idea? Originally I was going to do it before Christmas but I wasn't home for the holiday so couldn't have updated the rotation anyway but, if people actually want it then it I could do that some day now.
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

Oui

Post by Oui » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:44 pm

sure , sound like a good idea.
About which number is required in order to pass - well i don't really know how many ppl actually look at the forum. I see like 6-7 people who are posting stuff , dunno how many only look thru.
Maybe 5 votes would be good for the begining. But then there is the problem that every one can only vote once - so if he likes 2 maps you can't vote for both , which kinda sucks again

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:47 am

Oh true, that kinda ruins it I thought/remembered that you would be able to vote on multiple options.. Dunno if this is worth it then. Maybe we can give it a shot anyway, let's see.

EDIT: Actually I had a look and when creating a poll I can choose how many options I let each person vote for so you can vote for as many maps as you want. I'll try to let as many people as possible in game know that they'll be able to vote here, maybe somebody can post in the facebook group or whatever, and then those who care can vote, and if people don't bother to vote that's simply a sign that the current rotation is good enough and doesn't need to be changed.
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Hawk wrote:Oh true, that kinda ruins it I thought/remembered that you would be able to vote on multiple options.. Dunno if this is worth it then. Maybe we can give it a shot anyway, let's see.

EDIT: Actually I had a look and when creating a poll I can choose how many options I let each person vote for so you can vote for as many maps as you want. I'll try to let as many people as possible in game know that they'll be able to vote here, maybe somebody can post in the facebook group or whatever, and then those who care can vote, and if people don't bother to vote that's simply a sign that the current rotation is good enough and doesn't need to be changed.
sounds like a plan, first we need to come up with prospect maps

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:10 am

DiceRolla wrote:
Hawk wrote:Oh true, that kinda ruins it I thought/remembered that you would be able to vote on multiple options.. Dunno if this is worth it then. Maybe we can give it a shot anyway, let's see.

sounds like a plan, first we need to come up with prospect maps
To start it off, imo FeignedBeleifs should be either in or one of those infrequently added maps in the rotation. It's great for big team battles or those 2-4 player chases when population is low. I have not seen anyone so far that has openly disliked this map.
Emmy or Fort or some smaller map should be the same. It's great for 2-8 player duels and shenanigans but some players will just want a big ctf map. Again, that''s where the admin selection comes in.
Utopia is an underrated map imo. It is heavily in the favour of grappler users but the overall design and the separate battle for the neutral base makes it quite interesting.
Personally I love CC, but there's been some backlash around that map. I'll leave it up to common vote.
I've seen an overwhelming consideration for Faith and Impact when asking for preferred maps. Personally I am not a fan of either but if it will keep the bulk of the server population happy then it's all good.
What's that map with two tall bases and the hill in the middle that has a hole with water on the bottom in it? Love that one.
Just my two cents, obviously the status quo will choose overall rotation. Just to give you guys some hints and give the community an opportunity to agree/disagree with hopefully constructive arguments against or for.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:33 pm

What's that map with two tall bases and the hill in the middle that has a hole with water on the bottom in it? Love that one.
thats an X2 I thought...ummm aareoina (I know thats not the right name but) made it it has the two yellow towers right? then like a lake in the middle with hill in the lake with like a cave?

BEML7 Aether

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:35 am

Looks like I can make only 10 voting options each time so have to think a bit more carefully of which ones to choose. I think that I'll put in just some 10 options for this time, and then let people say what options they want for the next vote. And try to switch up the options so that as many maps as possible can be voted for in the end.
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:53 pm

Hawk wrote:Looks like I can make only 10 voting options each time so have to think a bit more carefully of which ones to choose. I think that I'll put in just some 10 options for this time, and then let people say what options they want for the next vote. And try to switch up the options so that as many maps as possible can be voted for in the end.
sounds good.

are you able to update maps on the servers as well (if you can change the rotation I know you can upload maps) I have been trying to get highdive to up the new fix pack but he's no longer enthused as much as he was befor break about trobes by my understanding of our last conversation, my guess is over all work load between rl and the game.

anyways my request is simple. Add (over write) the new fix pack link is in the fix pack thread second to the last link by tapir. and add the last versions of DropShip and FirstWave to the sever and all maps to the rotation. (again last link in corresponding threads in new content forum)

According to killer, these where all prospect maps for future rotations, they just had a few bugs to be worked out befor being added to the main server and need to be tested thoroughly by as many players as possible to make sure all the bugs have been located and fixed.

anyways was hoping to hold out on a new rotation until this pack was finished, and it reportedly is done, but hasn't been tested yet

this would also be the version of CC RD HL Tangent that should go on the promod when the rotation is updated is what killer was shooting for

anyways a response of any kind is much appreciated

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:11 pm

I don't have any sort of experience with uploading maps or much else server/map related but I'll try and look into it when I have time. For now the voting options are maps that I have seen mentioned in conversations here and there so I thought at least some people may like them but if we get these fixed then sure they can be voting options in future polls. I'll try and reset the vote somewhat frequently (every 1 or 2 weeks or so) so having more commonly known maps now is not that big of an issue.
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.

DiceRolla

Post by DiceRolla » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Hawk wrote:I don't have any sort of experience with uploading maps or much else server/map related but I'll try and look into it when I have time. For now the voting options are maps that I have seen mentioned in conversations here and there so I thought at least some people may like them but if we get these fixed then sure they can be voting options in future polls. I'll try and reset the vote somewhat frequently (every 1 or 2 weeks or so) so having more commonly known maps now is not that big of an issue.
I'm just trying to get tapirs project finished..the only hold up is having them uploaded at this point, as it seems we should have the final version ready for "proof reading" I'm not exactly sure how it works over the VPH servers but it's installing maps just like with the game (sense its the same dedicated server on the vph it's the same)

anyways sense there are things like moved spawn points for maps like CC and RD (I think tangent too) and a scope bug fix for highlands I thought it was worth mentioning

HighDive
Revengeance Engineer

Post by HighDive » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:29 am

Maximum number of poll options has been increased to 20. That should be way more than sufficient.

Dice, see my other post in the new content forum about how I interpreted your post on how I should have install the maps. So as far I care, the maps are installed.

The maps that I have previously suggested to be taken into the "fix" map pack, were all maps of which more than a handful of people agreed on them being fit for public play, if only "that one" or "those few" issue(s) were resolved. It wouldn't surprise me in the least, however, should people still spit vomit at those maps, even when the issues are resolved. My stand on that has been made clear several times, though: now's the time to complain, not when the map pack is released.

Hawk, you have gotten a few moderator rights in this sub-forum. You can e.g. lock topics and remove posts. This to aid you in keeping things readable. Also, I have removed Slazer's post about the "up-to-date" rotation. I trust you will make a new one and keep it up to date whenever you add and/or remove maps as a result of the polls. Once you have created the topic and I took notice of it, I will make it a sticky.

HighDive

OakTribes

Post by OakTribes » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:07 am

The map vote system was interesting, but apparently it seems not for everyone. I think freshness once in a while is what people enjoy, but ultimately comfort lies in familiar maps.
It would be good to see map voting come back every so often when people become tired of the existing rotation.

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Any admin that can change the map rotation may feel free to manage such a vote again, if no other admin for some reason have map rotation rights then I can give them. Otherwise the vote may or may not come back, when I feel so. We did have about a month break from this "standard" rotation either way ;)
General of cheating.
Admiral of destruction.
Marshall of corruption.